Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 289D-Do I have a problem?

Bliz ยท 2015-12-02 20:10

I have a less than year old Cat 289D with about 300 hours and have an issue that I suspect is a problem. Specifically, when you put it under load, like pushing a pile of gravel, it makes a loud whining noise that I am guessing is the hydraulic pump. The more the load, the louder it gets. There is no noise when just grading or normal light usage. It did this same thing about a month ago and I changed the hydraulic filter and it seemed to get better. Obviously, I checked the hydraulic fluid level and that is fine. Is this normal or should I be calling Cat to come check it out. Thanks for any advice.

Replies6
  1. #1KSSS2015-12-02 22:03

    Can you hear or feel the pump destroke or does the machine die if you keep pushing it into the pile?

  2. #2Cmark2015-12-02 23:43

    Speak to your customer service rep. If there's a problem developing you need to at least bring it to their attention before it gets to one year old.

  3. #3Nige2015-12-03 04:03

    Is it still under warranty..? If yes (even if no) call your dealer sooner rather than later.

  4. #4pafarmer2015-12-03 06:53

    Not at all normal. Call CAT and get it looked at ASAP ! ....

  5. #5Bliz2015-12-03 20:46

    Thanks for all the responses. I guess I will be calling Cat.

  6. #6partsandservice2015-12-03 21:04

    Check the air to air boots and clamps . Escaping boost pressure will make an awful squeal , and usually happens under load when boost pressure maxs out.