Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 289D drive hose routing

Acoals ยท 2022-04-18 20:12

CAT0289DVTAW01488 Awhile back I replaced the drive hoses after a rupture due to rubbing on the cover where the hoses run into the machine chassis. I have recently had the track frame off for other work, and I would like to set the hoses so they don't keep rubbing through. I have them wrapped with both plastic spiral and the sock stuff, but as hard as the upper hose is riding on the frame I think it is eventually going to wear through. I thought of cutting the upper part of the guard, but I am not sure if that is the best idea. Is there anything anybody else has found to deal with this?

Replies7
  1. #1ianjoub2022-04-18 20:47

    I have cut sections of heater hose and zip tied it on areas that are prone to chaffing.

  2. #2Nige2022-04-18 23:06

    How about a photo of the hoses with the guard removed.?

  3. #3Acoals2022-04-18 23:14

    These are the other side. In the pic there is a mudflap I was trying to wrap around, but the lines are so tight there is barely room to put the cover on with the mudflap, or anything else. Even with a larger hose split and wrapped around the big hoses, (there are five in total) the one hose is rubbing real hard on the cover, due to the steep angle it has to run to get from the drive motor to the cover. This is with the fittings on the motor angled as much as possible without hitting things.

  4. #4Chrisso2022-04-19 01:46

    Best thing Cat has to offer is XT-6 ToughGaurd hoses. They obviously still rub but offer slightly more protection. Problem is there's just no room in there. I usually try to squeeze some spiral wrap around a hose or two that rub against the machine frame and/or black guard the worst. Cat finally fixed this in the D3 series machines by adding a moulded rubber (more like hard plastic) clamp device that keeps the hoses segregated.

  5. #5Acoals2022-04-19 10:51

    Well, this is what I did, at least for now. I cut the top back about an inch and a half, this allows the upper hose to run through without riding hard on the cover. It's not perfect, but it's the best I can see for now. Next winter I might try to see if I can retrofit the D3 setup.

  6. #6Chrisso2022-04-20 01:25

    I don't think you're going to get much better, that will at least give it slightly more life. Unfortunately the D3 setup isn't exactly bolt on...

  7. #7Acoals2022-04-20 06:00

    Well, I can drill and tap holes, but the hose arrangement in your pic looks different. I see four hoses of equal size, My machine has two real big hoses, I think 1", two small one, maybe 3/8", and then one that is a little bigger, probably 1/2". That part won't bolt on for sure.