Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 289D fuel pump not priming.

dzlsnowman ยท 2025-11-20 13:49

Hey guys, EVERY time I change filters on my machine, the fuel pump stops working and won't prime. What am I doing wrong??? Last time this happened I replaced the pump, I highly doubt this needs done again since the pump was working just fine when I shut it off to do filters.

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2025-11-20 14:54

    Is this the same TAW09660 machine you posted about before.? Was the replacement fuel pump you installed previously OEM or aftermarket.? Part Number.? When you asked before I did mention that there was an update to improve the reliability of the fuel transfer pump applicable to all TAW machines up to S/N 10068, which would include yours.

  2. #2dzlsnowman2025-11-20 14:58

    Yes sir this is the same machine. The fuel pump is oem from the local dealer.

  3. #3Nige2025-11-20 15:07

    Part Number.? Does the pump not run at all when you turn the key to the ON (not START) position with the engine stopped.? Have you checked whether power is coming to the 2-pin connector at the pump when you so this.?

  4. #4dzlsnowman2025-11-20 17:44

    Part 552-5534 Fuse is good, power at the pump.

  5. #5Nige2025-11-20 17:51

    That's the latest Part Number. How long is it since you bought the pump.? I would be asking the dealer for Parts Warranty if it was me.

  6. #6dzlsnowman2025-11-20 17:59

    September of last year. Still doesnt make sense that it worked fine until I changed the filters, this happens every time.

  7. #7heymccall2025-11-20 18:43

    On my old 248B, you had to leave the seat bar up, and turn the ignition switch to "Start" briefly. Then, the pump would run. It wouldn't get voltage in just the "Run" position, with the engine off. If you left the seat bar down, it would start (and run for a few seconds, then stall) on the fuel left in the lines after a filter change.