We have a Cat 289D that is pushing it's coolant into the overflow tank after a day of moving dirt. I just replaced the temp regulator (P/N: 389-5308), put new coolant in and sprayed out the fins on the radiator. I was hoping to get a troubleshooting guide, any old tips, or just some Insite on where to go next.
Did anyone notice what the engine coolant temps were doing.? That cooling package which includes the engine radiator and hydraulic oil cooler sandwiched together is almost impossible to clean without removal from the machine and disassembly.
Operator said "It got warm but never overheated" I'm hoping to get some time this week to use it myself the see the temp numbers.
Get torn into the cooling package as a first step would be my suggestion.
Might consider using a coolant pressure tester, if ones available.
If it's only pushing coolant into the overflow after working hard all day, I'd start by checking for combustion gases in the cooling system before throwing more parts at it. A bad radiator cap, partially plugged radiator, weak water pump, or head gasket issue can all cause that symptom. Make sure the fan is operating properly and that the charge air cooler/radiator stack is completely clean, not just the outer fins. A cooling system pressure test and a block test would be my next steps.