Just have a new to me 2014 Cat 289d that appears to be leaking fluid from the large rear roller. There is a nut on the outside in center of roller that holds it to the frame and then right behind it there looks to be like a hub and its leaking from there?? Any ideas whats going on and what will be needed to repair this? Another thing is we have a lot of mud here recently and then it got cold, so I had a bunch of mud freeze up on me in the undercarriage. I got it moving but it seemed to go harder than it should so I wasn't using it very hard till I could get it thawed out. Do you think this issue could be related? Or maybe it was going out before and this just expedited the problem. Its concerning to me to have an issue so soon already and I hope its nothing to serious. Any help would be appreciated.
Sounds like you blew a drive motor seal... Only dis-assembly and inspection will tell you more...
Is the leak on the rear idler on the bottom or on the drive motor that runs the tracks? If it's on the bottom large rear idler it could be just a seal that either gave up on its own or the frozen mud may have ruined it.
Yes, its the large rearmost idler with triple flanges. It did warm up here today and I cleaned it out and drove it some, it didn't appear to be leaking anymore but I know it lost some fluid. Is there a place to add some more? Not sure if it could possibly reseal on its own? Also my quicktach just quite working, it makes this clicking sound coming from the motor? Any idea's what could be going on there?
How many hours? I had a 299 do that over the winter. Not sure if it's temp related but probably is. They can be resealed. I used cat parts, don't remember the cost though.
We've got around 25 or so tracked Cat skid steers and we definitely see an increase in roller leaks in winter vs summer.
Now that some time has passed, was the roller resealed or replaced?