Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 289d won’t turn over

Hamil10 · 2025-02-17 13:56

Hello I have a cat 289d skid steer I just recently built the motor and reinstalled it went to crank it the first time and it won’t turn over with the key. it will turn over when you put direct power to starter. It has an engine power rating mix matched code and a can data link erratic code. The temp gage shows faulted and doesn’t have a reading all fuses test to be good. Engine is grounded. Everything worked as it should before engine was removed. Does anybody have any advice? And does anybody have a wiring diagram?

Replies14
  1. #1Simon C2025-02-17 14:12

    Will need a serial number to start. Will need a multimeter also. Start there. Simon C

  2. #2Hamil102025-02-17 14:15

    Taw05188 I’ve got a multimeter

  3. #392U 34062025-02-17 14:26

    First thing I would do since it ran before the rebuild is start with the basics. Make sure everything is plugged in/connected and that none of the harness pins got bent or damaged when they were unhooked and reconnected. I'd also make sure the wiring harnesses didn't get pinched or crushed during the engine R&I. During the rebuild were any harnesses, injectors, ECM, sensors, fuel pump etc replaced?

  4. #4Hamil102025-02-17 14:35

    all plugs appear to be connected correctly all pins appear to be good the injectors was replaced but not programmed yet cat dealer said it should still crank and run. Do you think I should get the injectors programmed first?

  5. #5Simon C2025-02-17 14:43

    I would like to send you the schematic, have checked all the ones I have, No TAW05188. Maybe Nige can get it or Someone else. Simon C

  6. #6Simon C2025-02-17 14:44

    Might be an idea to post entire Machine number. Make it easier to find. Simon C

  7. #7Nige2025-02-17 15:00

    Which one exactly.? Not the famous E459-2 Event.? When active that particular event will give you a no crank situation.

  8. #8Hamil102025-02-17 15:07

    Cat0289detawo5188

  9. #9Hamil102025-02-17 15:08

    Yes it is a E459-2

  10. #10Nige2025-02-17 15:24

    Is the E459-2 present permanently, as opposed to coming and going.? Also what is the CAN Code and is it also permanently present.?

  11. #11Hamil102025-02-17 20:12

    It is permanent. 523548-2 is the can code it’s permanent

  12. #12Nige2025-02-17 20:49

    Thank you. So if the engine worked fine until it was removed for rebuild there seems to be 2 options here. 1. The most common cause of E459-2 is a bad earth connection somewhere, often between the engine block and the machine frame. 2. The Datalink issue is potentially more complicated but I'd bet money that the Code is being generated by the engine ECM (as opposed to the Machine ECM) that will not communicate correctly. These engines are well known for engine wiring harness problems with wires failing inside the protective external braid. TBH I think in your position I would chase the Datalink fault first, because you might just kill two birds with one stone. First do some visual inspections of any areas where the engine harness passes round tight corners. It's not unknown for too-tight zip ties to damage the harness internally. The only sure way to test the Datalink wires in the harness is by using something like a 5A test light powered by batt+ voltage then connected to one end of a particular Datalink wire with the other end of the wire jumpered to machine frame ground. Resistance/continuity testing can give false positives because all it needs is one strand of wire to be hanging on to pass the test. Apply any sort of current to it and the story is totally different - total failure. I'll send you an electrical schematic.

  13. #13Nige2025-02-17 21:02

    The attached may come in useful but TBH a test light is your best friend.

  14. #14Simon C2025-02-17 21:45

    Hello Nige: This was exactly how I thought Can wires could be tested by running a small amount of current through them to ensure there is strong enough path unlike a Ohm meter test. As always thanks for sharing. I did have a 289 schematic from you previously, but his serial number was a hair out, no matches. Your clear explanation will help someone else no doubt. Thanks again. Simon C