Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 297c knocking noise under cab

mlbatson · 2023-10-31 22:14

Hello all I have a 297c and appears that the knocking noise is coming from under the cab. Hydraulic coupler? I still have all functions but shut it down as soon as I heard the noise. Restarted the engine to make an estimated guess that it’s not coming from the engine. It’s much louder under the cab. I raised the cab and there is a slight vibration on the gear pump that can be felt by placing my hand on it. No vibration from the hydraulic pump. The knocking increases with more rpm’s. Serial number is *CAT0297 CAGCP01604*

Replies3
  1. #1Welder Dave2023-11-01 02:29

    How is the pump coupled to the engine? Some machines use a double U-joint that needs to be greased or maybe another type of coupler problem.

  2. #2mlbatson2023-11-01 09:27

    It’s a plastic coupler. Looks like a flywheel.

  3. #3CM19952023-11-01 11:48

    Please only post one topic in one thread. Cat 297c knocking noise Hello all I have a 297c and appears that the knocking noise is coming from under the cab. Hydraulic coupler? I still have all functions but shut it down as soon as I heard the noise. Restarted the engine to make an estimated guess that it’s not coming from the engine. It’s much louder under the... HeavyEquipmentForums Thread closed.