Does anyone have any experience with removing rear axle on cat 297c? I am trying to remove rear left side axle and it seems as though the rear nuts are impossible to get a wrench onto inside machine.
I may be wrong or misunderstanding what you are asking but isn’t the track frame supposed to be removed first.?
Yes it is but the axle shaft is seized onto track frame so I am having to remove entire rear axle shaft.
Is there room to get a bottle jack between the frame and track frame? The front axle on mine was seized on a 277C and that’s how I got it off. Heat does wonders also, reasonably of coarse. Front and back need to come off some what evenly as well.
Are you sure its actually seized and not just caught on a big wear groove on the shaft? Every time you hit a hole or bump that shaft will oscillate slightly in the bushings and its not a super tight fit when new either, so its not often they seize.
Here’s a pic of how I got mine off for reference.
The Grease zerts won't take Grease and I can't get them to with my Grease rejuvinator either
The Grease zerts won't take Grease and I can't get them to with my Grease rejuvinatoe Ok thanks, I didn't even think of trying that yet. Thats a good idea. I'll try that tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks
Are the grease fittings out at the end of the axle? That style the grease passages always get blocked with dirt and hardened grease. I just drill the dirt out and reuse the axle if its still within spec.
No it has the Grease zerts along the axle shaft on the track roller assembly
Do you know what the fix is to get rid of side to side slop on front axle shaft? I'm not sure if it is supposed to have washers or if its just worn out. I've attached picture of what I'm talking about. Every time I turn sharp and can feel to thump to one side.
There should be washers. The parts manual calls out for 4. I assume it’s for 2 on each side. When I disassembled mine one side had one and the other side had 2. I’m going back with 2 new ones on each side. They are not very thick and will likely not take up the entire gap.
Ok thats good to know. Mine is missing all the washers. I'm guessing it is normal for that shaft I be able to move side to side a little bit unless it needs to be tight.
I’m not an expert, but believe it is designed to move side to a bit. It’s likely the axle bushings are worn as well.