Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Installing Tracks The Easy Way

Simon C · 2023-04-03 22:01

Cut Some pieces from a 2X6 about 14 inches long with whatever tools you have to do it safely. Make sure that the height of the spokes are higher than the track cleats. Loosen off the track tensioning grease nipple. Lay as many of the spokes behind the front idler and reverse the tracks as in the other picture. The machine has to be up on blocks to make easy. Then using a pry bar, pry the front end of the track right off. I use the same procedure to put tracks on. Don't try to do if the tracks are ice cold as they will be too hard to bend around corners to get back on without a lot of problems. Have used this technique many a times with success every time. All the best to you. Simon C

Replies18
  1. #1ianjoub2023-04-03 22:20

    I am going to try that! Thanks for the share.

  2. #2hseII2023-04-03 22:34

    I used 1 1/4” pipe the last time just like you did. There was a guy on the Fakebook that started building steel clamps that does the same thing: 1 guy clamps them On the tracks & the turns the tracks by himself. It normally takes me 2 people.

  3. #3mg23612023-04-04 05:52

    Then you will like this. How to Remove and Install Cat® Rubber Tracks on Compact Track Loaders

  4. #4The Peej2023-04-04 07:02

    That sprocket doesn't look like its long for this world

  5. #5hseII2023-04-04 08:29

    He must have copied these as that’s exactly what he’s building. For Someone that is working alone, these are perfect.

  6. #6CM19952023-04-04 10:14

    Long round pry bars work pretty well too. The extra leverage of the bar allows you to align the track as it starts to go over the idler.

  7. #7southernman132023-04-04 10:40

    This is amazing. Just threw a track off rear idle on a Kubota 97-2. Loosened track adjuster put one wood slat in track in front of idler drove forward put another slat in track drove forward with slight steer to the right and bingo both popped right back on. With no assistance at all lol!! Hell yeah!! I’ll be keeping some of these in my truck always! I’ll take some pics when I get back over there. Didn’t have to Jack it up or anything. Probably didn’t move 2’

  8. #8Simon C2023-04-04 10:58

    Then you will like this. How to Remove and Install Cat® Rubber Tracks on Compact Track Loaders Quality repairs are the rule, not the exception! mg2361 is right his video shows an easy way, but I get paid to go and re-install tracks for people in all kinds of places. I did not buy anything other than some scrap pieces of 2X6. If I get done too fast I will get paid nothing. Some smaller tracks might not fit too well with those bars, but for an owner operator that system would be great. As long as the track cleats clear the sprocket the rest is straight forward. If I decide to make a set for myself the video was perfect for sizing. There is always someone elses great idea on this sight that makes things easy. Thanks mg2361 Simon C

  9. #9Simon C2023-04-04 11:13

    That sprocket doesn't look like its long for this world Those sprockets were completely junked. you are absolutely right ' The Peej'. I did change them out before reinstalling the tracks. Very good observation. Had only 600 Hrs on them, Bobcat T190 Ended up being a very good job that the owner was very happy about. Got me a whole bunch of extra work. Simon C

  10. #10PeterG2023-04-04 11:40

    On my Takeuchi TL130 I have used a big piece of wood, like 6x10" by two feet long placed in front of the track and then curled the bucket backwards to depress the grease out. Then Used the bucket and a hydraulic jack to lift the machine up, and pry bars to remove the track. Wow that sprocket looks crazy bad!

  11. #11southernman132023-04-04 11:50

    I put a 6x6 tween the track and my mulcher to loosen the track. It a very good pic but it popped right on

  12. #12southernman132023-04-04 14:21

    Meant to say it isn’t a very good pic lol

  13. #1392U 34062023-04-04 14:28

    I've always kicked the sprocket off for a little extra clearance. Easy enough to put back on once the track is in place.

  14. #14Zewnten2023-04-04 20:50

    I carry 3 or 4 pieces of 1" pipe and the tracks slide on easy. The wood binds up sometimes if the track is tight enough. I remember the special tool for ASV tracks on Cat skids, this is so much easier.

  15. #15Jonas3022023-04-05 07:56

    Thats the same way I figured out how to do it except it was cutting saplings to run around in there if you have someone in the machine to run its goes pretty fast. The nice smooth boards would work better for sliding across. Same way to retract the idler on big machines stuff the hitch pin in the sprocket and run it around

  16. #16rbrown2252023-04-18 20:04

    On the same thought. If you are lucky enough to be changing them on concrete. Have found putting a piece of "Tyvec" house wrap under the tracks makes them slide out easier

  17. #17Shimmy12023-04-18 21:48

    I think you mean 10,600 hours? We've put 2000 hours on two different T770s, and there was minimal wear. If those only had 600 hours, they had to be faulty from the factory...

  18. #18Simon C2023-04-18 22:34

    The machine had only 600 hours and the picture of the sprocket shows how bad they were. The machine was used for quite a bit of work with some blasted rock that is very abrasive. Did I think it was premature, yes but I was not paying the bill. We don't know if it was poorly made or just badly abrasive. I came to change oil and filters and found the tracks worn out. The owner who was pretty easy going said to just change them. When he seen the worn out sprocket besides the new one he could not believe how worn out it was. We never pursued it as to whether faulty or not. Simon C