Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 299C Coolant Change

Cat299C ยท 2022-08-01 08:29

Looking to change the coolant in my 299C. I've done several searches and I'm having trouble finding much info on where to drain. There is a petcock on the right side of the block above the oil filter that is on extremely tight (is this a left hand thread by chance?). Any brass plugs lower on the block or other drain locations in the coolant system? Any info would be much appreciated!

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2022-08-01 09:16

    It might pay you to acquire an O&M Manual, less than $50 to download. The Publication Reference is SEBU8407. The petcock is the drain location and it will be a conventional RH thread. See attached.

  2. #2Cat299C2022-08-01 13:25

    Nige, thank you for your response. I do have the O&M Manual (I think that is where I read about the petcock). I tried turning it by hand but given it is a long reach, I couldn't get it to turn. Guess I'll grind a slot into an old socket and slip it over the tee handle. Thanks for confirming it is a right hand thread. I will give it a go this weekend.

  3. #3CM19952022-08-01 13:41

    What type of coolant does it currently have in it? Cat ELC? If it has Cat ELC (red) then I highly suggest going back with same. If it has something else I would suggest flushing the system and refilling with Cat ELC. We have engines in the 5-8K hour range that only ELC has been in with no issues.

  4. #4Cat299C2022-08-01 16:08

    CM1995, thanks for that. Yes, I agree with using the Cat ELC. I've already bought it and just wanted to make sure I could get as much of the old coolant out as possible. From what I gather, the petcock location will drain all the fluid. I bought the machine used and was told it was serviced / fluids changed but want to put in fresh ELC so I will be good for some time to come. The machine is a 2011/2012 model with 3,700 hours on it.

  5. #5CM19952022-08-01 19:02

    Same here when I buy a used piece of equipment. I don't care if the oil looks clean all the fluids are being changed regardless. A belt and suspenders approach is cheap insurance IMO.