Pretty much there in the title. Along with a litany of other issues and a ton of hours on it the “advanced display” has gone totally black. Any help would be appreciated. It’s a cat 299d xhp
A Serial Number gets you an electrical schematic that you could use to test the basics such as whether or not the aux panel is getting power, etc, etc.
What website to I put the serial number into get that?
Here........ I can send you a schematic, just need your machine S/N.
Try resetting the display. Key off Disconnect battery for a minute Reconnect battery Key on Press and hold the two outermost buttons on the display for 15 seconds.
I didn’t know the two outer buttons were a reset. I just hopped in and tried that and it fixed it thanks!!
Thank you for your help as well!
Nige, do you still have access to the schematic? My serial number is attached. Thanks a ton!
Keep an eye on your PMs.
We have the same problem on our 259D. Which two buttons need depressing? Outermost either side ie button 1 and 6 or? Thanks in advance.
Which two buttons need depressing? The outermost buttons you mention eg button 1 and 6 or ? Thanks in advance.
These two (circled) ............
Thanks Nige Well give it a go and see if it works.
Most display issues I've seen have been from lose connection at battery. Usually after a PM has been performed from removing the positive battery cable to get access to the oil filter on some models. Screen can be reset with the first and last button pushed.
Have a cat 246d and the advanced display screen is black nothing
Any ideas I have tryed resetting and nothing
Post a Serial Number and you can have the electrical schematic for your machine. AFAIK in the case of the Advanced Display the only thing you can check is that it is getting powered up but obviously you need to know which wires to measure the voltage. As mentioned above have you checked the tightness of the battery connections.? Or better still remove both of them, clean, refit and make sure they are tight.
Fun fact of the day: Advanced Display replacement cost is $1,400 . . .
Same issue after having replaced the alternator, battery, and battery cables due to corrosion. Holding the outer two buttons shows the top row of backlit indicators (parking brake, etc.) flash a couple times, but the display never lights up and unable to able to release parking brake, lift bucket or engage tracks. Any thoughts? 2017 SN: FTL10148 Thanks for any help.
Have you measured the voltage arriving into the back of the Advanced Display.? I'lll send you an electrical schematic. You might find it helpful.
no not yet. I assumed that since the top indicators flashed, there was power so I haven't taken panel out yet. Battery is 12+ key off, key reads 14.42 while charging. thanks re the schematic, I'll take a look as well as checking the voltage to the display.
I suggest to back-probe between the power supply & grouind specifically for the Advanced Display.
ok, thanks.
If you have had corrosion issues in other areas on the machine that’s the last thing you should be assuming IMHO. In the words of my old diagnostics guru - all that ASSUME does is makes an ASS out of U and ME
I am having mostly the same issues, I can add that the horn also doesn't work after a machine that I bought disassembled, and had been for a year or more. I did some diagnostic work be for it was taken a part and the display worked then. Mach sen. TAW00486. Thanks for any help
As per the instructions to the previous poster, try using the schematic and check for incoming power at the back of the Advanced Display while it is plugged into the machine harness. You will need to back-probe between Pins 1 & 2 that should have permanent battery power, and Pins 8 & 2 that should have battery power with the key switch ON.
I have no lights no nothing on my display also (jst00975).Can you help out Nige?pretty please. The machine runs fine .I assume if the schematic for mine is the same as the above if I have power on 1 and 8 with a ground from 2 it would be a bad display?If so anyone knows what goes wrong with them (it's like 1500$)?
That any better than going white?
Not sure what you mean?
Have you tried resetting the display as a first step.?
Yes sir,tried several times ,battery was severe discharged (prev owner says he had not used it in the last 6-8 months and that the battery had been replaced in the last years. However I was not able to recharge that battery and purchased a new one (agm) and it starts and runs fine but no display or the icons above it (park brake etc)
Can you measure the voltage at the centre of the battery terminals, both with the engine stopped and running. Did the previous owner mention whether or not the display worked when he had the machine.?
12.55 engine off,14.7 running, he mumbled something but who knows ....he had different stories
I have 14.36 on 1 and 8 at the harness at the display,also ground on 2
I noticed that if I unplug the display and plug it back ,when I go about half way with the plug it beeps(if I stop there it continues to beep )but nothing on the screen
Those are good numbers so that rules that out. if you turn off the key you should have zero on Pin 8. Please check that. The display is permanently powered at Pin 1 with unswitched battery voltage. If your machine does not have the (optional) master disconnect switch installed I would suggest to unplug the display for at least 15 minutes to allow it to fully power down. If you do have a master switch you could turn that off. It would achieve the same result, with the caveat that you need to make sure the switch is actually working. It is not unknown for the contacts on those switches to be welded closed.
I do have 0V at pin 8 with key of ,12.5V with key on ,14.4V engine running. Disconnected display ,now waiting. Plug it back in 15 min.and report
When you plug it back in and power up, try doing a reset as well.
Key on ,hold first and last buttons for 15 sec,correct?
Correct. See the Post #5 from @Cmark on the previous page.
Ok,done....nothing .
Unfortunately despite having done everything available to you it appears as though the display is toast. You are looking for a 378-1036 or the updated Part Number 543-1326. Either will work.
Ok thank you for your help.will look into getting one.and post back with the results
Try leaving it de-powered for longer, overnight maybe.? In your position I think I would disconnect the battery and de-power all the ECMs on the machine. At this point you have nothing to lose by trying.
I took it home with me (so it's disconnected) I am thinking about opening it up (I don't know why but I think is a loose connection somewhere inside it
It's been a month ,but here are the updates, I took the board out of the display to have it checked and repaired with no luck, so I ended up getting a new one and everything works just fine now.I have been using it daily. Thank you for the help.
I'm only sorry it couldn't be fixed without having to replace it.
Did you have Cat install the display or was it a plug and play deal?
What machine S/N are you looking at.? It might be a different display. There are some Part Numbers of display that need a software flash, others are plug & play. The installation of one works just fine, the other leads to disappointment. Also have you tried re-initializing your existing display.? See Post #5 on Page 1 for instructions.
Luckily mine was plug and play , and that is what the local dealer told me too,but as niege says depends on your SN and the part you get.
It was for a machine at auction. Non running, monitor missing. Sold for 40k
Damn ....was it newish?
Sorry, could i have one if it isn't too much to ask? Serial number: CAT0262DVDTB02987
Certainly. Check your message inbox.
Would you happen to have schematic for CAT0299DKFD200527, I tried disconnecting the battery and resetting with with the two outermost buttons, the parking and seat indicators on top will slowly illuminate very dull after 20 seconds and flash a little bit until you release them then back to off. Hoping to find relay, fuse, or wire issue!
Check your message inbox. If you have checked for ignition switched power on the back of the display, tried the two-button reset and disconnecting the battery then it sounds as though your display might well be toast.
Nige, would you be able to provide electrical schematic for this 299d? Thanks.
Sure. Check your message inbox. What problem are you up against.?
I know it's been a while, but do you recall how you took it apart? Mine is on A 272D and no obvious ways to take apart short of taking a heat gun to it. I was told it's bad, so taking apart will not lead me any worse off. Currently took to a shop to give me an actual pass/fail of the panel before I fork out $1,200. It's a low cost compared to $1,200, and hopefully at least I will know for sure.