Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 299c hydraulics keeping engine from increasing rpms

Rob Everhart · 2026-02-11 10:12

Follow-up from earlier post (cat 299c # JSP01124) my cat 299c starts right up, idles at about 1000 rpm, pushing accelerator pedal does nothing..unless I move the arms up down, tilt etc..then rpm’s rise, but then bogs down…based on other threads sounds like my work tool high flow pump, is stuck in an up stroke position I have the machine ready to be worked on..I’m want to check pressures, before I pull out the pumps, to disassemble and inspect questions 1) I have the service manuals, over and over it refers to “hydraulic system pressure - release” I can’t locate this procedure..is it in the testing and adjusting system? 2) do I use the load sensing pressure tap..attached photo, and the pump Discharge pressure tap.( in the black and white photo it shows the tap, I circled what I believe is the tap on my valve body..is that correct?) thanks

Replies12
  1. #1Nige2026-02-11 10:25

    It is. See attached.

  2. #2Rob Everhart2026-02-11 10:33

    Lastly before I start, it seems there are already quick release pressure taps installed, is the coupler 6v-4143 the correct part I need to get to hook up my gauges to take advantage of the already installed quick couplers

  3. #3Rob Everhart2026-02-11 10:34

    Thank you Nige

  4. #4Nige2026-02-11 10:36

    Yes it is. BTW aftermarket will-fit equivalents to 6V-4143 are available.

  5. #5Rob Everhart2026-02-20 14:35

    Pulled the high flow pump/compensator valve..had pressure of ~3000 at the main pressure tap on the manifold without the parking brake switch engaged, and 0 psi at the compensator valve, no change with switch activated, or signal line capped..could not increase engine rpm with signal line capped..next open up the pump

  6. #6Rob Everhart2026-02-22 15:50

    I disassembled my compensator valve for the high flow pump the larger assembly (override), the spool was completely stuck..guessing the spring was barely touching it, i couldn't really see the spool from the spring side port I had to use a brass punch to push it out, and it won’t go back in the other spool slides right in and out of the smaller port the cat has been running fine, then not feels like a step in the bore, i tried both spools, and they get tight in the same spot i cant figure how the clearances would change..so this is my first finding could anyone chime in, if this could be the fault.keeping engine from going above idle..when running without the parking brake/hydraulic switch activated, my manifold pressure was ~3000 psi

  7. #7Rob Everhart2026-02-24 16:35

    Anyone..I ordered a new compensator valve..seems like the spool should slide in and out easy..and it doesn’t wondering if this could cause the upstroke condition, or should I tear down the pump now

  8. #8Rob Everhart2026-02-25 11:29

    Just like another thread, took pump apart The actuator piston seal is missing and there is scoring in the bore anyone have a good used pump? Cat 258-2554, I don’t know of any shop around me that would resell/line bore the head if I could get a new piston

  9. #9Rob Everhart2026-03-01 13:10

    I was able to pick up a used pump from a burnt cat, so I could use the pump housing with the scored bore from the piston ring failing. I would like to buy a new piston ring, but I don’t see it as a part you can buy for item #15…does anyone know the part number for just the piston ring, or if I have to buy the rod piston, does it come with the ring already installed? ( the burnt up pump piston rings is suspicious)

  10. #10Nige2026-03-01 13:47

    If it’s not listed in the Parts Manual then it’s not available separately. I assume that #15 comes with the piston ring as part of the assembly.

  11. #11Rob Everhart2026-03-01 15:32

    That’s what I guessed, thanks

  12. #12Rob Everhart2026-03-17 15:01

    Replaced piston, and housing..and compensator valve…when I had it apart noticed my rear axle was broken, and the front same side was going..replaced those..revs up perfectly, and runs fine