Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 299C LH Drive Motor Faults

samaughan · 2026-05-12 22:07

Hi all, Recently purchased a 299C from auction (JSP00847) that unknowingly had a failed LH wheel motor/final drive. We have changed that out with an aftermarket option and since running it up, have come into various electrical codes and events pertaining to the LH motor. The machine can be crept forward and back at snails pace without fault however as soon as more speed is commanded, the park brake engages and the driver alert icon activates. The machine cannot be moved until it is power cycled. The codes/events are as below. Logged Codes 2669-3 Creeper Mode Switch - Voltage Above 2685-8 Left Drive Motor Speed Sensor #1 - Abnormal Signal Logged Events E569-2 Unexpected Left Motor Reverse Speed Detected E568-2 Unexpected Left Motor Forward Speed Detected During forward operation, it was noted that the LH motor speed is reading negative RPM, and reading positive RPM when in reverse which is opposite to the RPM direction on the RH motor. We have conducted basic trouble shooting so far ie: • Swapped speed motor harness LH to RH - Did not change fault code • Removed and inspected LH sensor - No obvious damage, removed small metal particle • Tested supply power at LH sensor - Has 8.0V Serial number - JSP00847 Hours - 4,900 Any help is appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1pittsburgh cat man2026-05-12 22:42

    I think I would start by blocking machine off the ground and see what the tracks are doing when you try to move? could the drive lines be reversed??

  2. #2Nige2026-05-13 00:05

    If the speed signal reads negative when the track is moving forward then somehow the signal wires for the #1 & #2 LH speed sensors have been swapped. Maybe an aftermarket sensor wired differently. I’ll send you an electrical schematic but it will be tomorrow morning before I can get at it. That’s also the reason for the E568 & E569. When you swap the signal wires expect the 2685-8 Code to change to a 2686-8. I recommend that you swap the wires on the sensor pigtail rather than on the machine side of the speed sensor connector.

  3. #3samaughan2026-05-13 00:54

    thanks Nige. I have access to the schematic - Just to confirm, I should swap the two signal wires around (835 and 834)? The original CAT sensor (262-3764) was transferred over to the new aftermarket motor.

  4. #4Nige2026-05-13 09:31

    Seeing as you already have the electrical schematic that makes it easier. It should be KENR8666 covering all JSP-prefix machines up to S/N 1343. However the fact that the speed sensor is apparently OEM complicates matters somewhat. You have "crossed lines" in the signal wires but where exactly.? You don't want to be in a position of two wrongs making a right because it could cause you problems further down the line. I would first suggest that you inspect both halves of the harness connector at the speed sensor and ensure that the sensor pigtail wire colours RD/BK/GN/WH correspond to Pins 1 through 4 of the connector. The pin numbers are moulded into the back of the connector. Then repeat the same with the machine side of the speed sensor connector. if all that checks out then the next move is to the speed sensor jumper harness (Grid C-13, Page 3) and check both ends of that. I assume by now you can see where I'm going with this....... Circling back to the creeper switch. Attached the troubleshooting procedure for the fault.

  5. #5Chrisso2026-05-13 13:46

    That to me suggests the drive lines are hooked up correctly. Once you get some speed up the ECM notices the negative on one speed sensor, thinks you’re sliding down a hill, slams on the brakes and logs the E568 and E569 events. X2 what Nige said.

  6. #6Nige2026-05-23 11:48

    Did you ever get to the bottom of this.?