As I was dealing with my speed sensor issues, I discovered this. Any thoughts as to how this can happen?
Did the bolts fall out or break.? Front or rear.? Left side or right.?
That is a really good question. I'm pretty sure my wife/kids found one of the bolts, although the threads are heavily rusted all the way up and down - so if it is the bolt, it may not have had a nut on it for a long time. It's the same exact head size and at least a similar length. It's just not branded CAT like the others that are still in place. This is on the front right side. Now look at this picture. The holes aren't even lined up enough to get a bolt back through that open hole. Looks like it's going to be a chore getting realigned so I can get bolts back in. Ugh.
Attached the parts breakdown of the Axle Mounting Gp. You may have to slacken off some hardware to get things to line up. I wouldn't recommend using the machine until you can get all the hardware installed on the axles and tightened correctly. The potential consequences of the remaining bolts failing could be catastrophic. This is one case where I would recommend using genuine Cat hardware, unless your local outlet stocks Grade 10.9 metric bolts.
That misaligned bolt hole indicates that all of the other remaining bolts are suffering from some level of shear damage, and you'd be best advised to replace ALL the bolts. In addition, I've always found that when you have identical units for LH and RH side - and one unit is giving trouble - the other side is nearly always in a similar (worn/damaged) condition.
Really good point. Will definitely replace all 4 once I can get the hardware and inspect all others. Home depot has some 10.9 grade hardware I might check out. Thanks guys.
IMO the axles that attach with nuts & bolts are not the problem, it’s the ones that have tapped holes in the frame I’m worried about. I suggest that you check the condition of the threads in the machine frame very carefully. If they are in any way damaged then you are left with the option of longer bolts with nuts on the inside (if you can get access to the inside) or tapping the threads to a larger size and use the appropriate larger diameter bolts.
Based on the parts diagram, all four of these are nuts and bolts (4,6,8). Are you referencing parts 5,7?
Nope. If you look carefully the front axles are fixed with nuts, bolts, & washers (4, 6, & 8). The same fixings for the rear axles are only bolts & washers (4 & 8) so there must be threaded holes in the machine chassis for them.
Oh okay, I see. Yes, good call out.
Quick update on this. Finally got the replacement hardware and had a heckuva time getting the holes realigned. Found some of the old hardware and it was nothing but clumps of rusted metal. My theory is that the 8-10 inches of dirt in the bottom of the belly probably accelerated the rusting out. Couldn't get the 2 old bolts out, but did determine they are round (and not shearing off). I tried a blowtorch and loads of penetrating oil with a combination of breaker bar and sledge hammer and nothing worked. I'm planning to get a plasma cutter, so I'll probably have to just cut them off. To get the missing hardware in, I had to use a bottle jack inside the body of the machine to press the axle backwards and that allowed the new bolts to slide right in. I'll be keeping an eye on these bolts - especially until I get the 2 old bolts replaced. Anyway, this has allowed me to get the machine back up and running again (after my speed sensor debacle and these missing bolts) - thank goodness.
You're going to need an oxy-acetylene torch and heat the old hardware red-hot, then weld a nut on the remains of the hardware once it has cooled. That will usually get recalcitrant bolts out.