Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Normal display voltage for Cat299d2

ColdBlackWind · 2023-07-26 16:07

I am going from one problem to another. Got most recent problem, couldn’t get attachment off, to voltage issue. What is normal read out on display screen for voltage if alternator and battery are in good shape? My JD CT322 reads charging voltage of the alternator. Usually 13.8vdc to 14.1vdc. I will run a load test on the battery tomorrow and hope that is it. Battery is expensive but Cat wants $962 plus tax for new alternator.

Replies18
  1. #1Nige2023-07-26 16:30

    Those voltage numbers sound pretty normal to me and I would expect the Cat alternator to produce similar numbers. What problem do you suspect that you have.? Low system voltage.? E875 Events.?

  2. #2ColdBlackWind2023-07-26 16:40

    Ok. I will check battery condition tomorrow. Yes I am getting low system voltage code and elevated idle. Charged battery with external charger for 90 minutes. Display showing 12.2v but quickly dropped to 11.9v. If alternator is good I would have expected to see higher voltage while motor was running. Battery terminals will be first check also.

  3. #3Nige2023-07-26 16:44

    Are you getting an E875 Event for Low Voltage.? If so, Level 1, 2, or 3.? Are you also getting an E441 Event for Elevated Idle.? Elevated Idle when first starting from cold can sometimes be related to coolant temperature. If I am not mistaken it also creates an Event, but one that is not Logged in the machine memory once the coolant temperature passes a certain value..

  4. #4ColdBlackWind2023-07-26 17:12

    I will check her tomorrow. One alert was that idle was elevated due to low system voltage. I will eliminate battery and dirty terminals and go from there.

  5. #5Nige2023-07-26 17:44

    In that case probably 2 or 3. E875(2) - Low System Voltage. Activates when the engine is running and battery voltage is 12.25 VDC for 2 seconds. Battery voltage is becoming too low for continued operation. E875(3) - Low System Voltage Activates when the engine is running for at least 1 minute and battery voltage is 11.75 VDC for 2 seconds. Battery voltage is too low for continued safe operation.

  6. #6Acoals2023-07-29 00:09

    If you can find an alternator/starter shop around it would be cheaper . . . I can get an alternator rebuilt for a couple hundred at a shop near me.

  7. #7ColdBlackWind2023-07-29 07:30

    Yes sir. I used to have a guy here that was excellent but he has gotten old line me. He retired and quit working. I retired and went to work!

  8. #8ColdBlackWind2023-07-29 13:39

    The battery is metering out at 12.34vdc with engine off. Start engine and voltage falls to 12.1vdc display in cab showing 11.9vdc. Metered hot lug on alternator with engine running…..12.10vdc. Looks like alternator is culprit. If there is something about this machine and the charging circuit different than all the other automotive applications I have worked on please post. Otherwise I will proceed with replacing/rebuilding. At 2400 hours and $1000 for a new one I am questioning quality of the electrical components Cat is using.

  9. #9ColdBlackWind2023-07-31 17:20

    Anybody got a cross reference number for this alternator or had experience with a replacement not from Cat? Took it to alternator rebuilder and it is bad but he can’t get parts for it

  10. #10ozarkag2023-07-31 23:00

    Yes, certain units for Kubota "will fit". Biggest difference might be location of terminals. Check dbelectrical with the cat and Denso numbers.

  11. #11ozarkag2023-07-31 23:02

    Oh, and yes you can get parts, we do. . . For some reason lookups and cross info on those units is limited, but doesn't mean parts and cross units don't exist

  12. #12Nige2023-08-01 04:44

    Cat Part Number is 377-6966 if that helps at all. There may have been some upgrades on it in the past, there are a couple of documents I can't see.

  13. #13ColdBlackWind2023-08-01 07:02

    It is a Mitsubishi. I am finding some online but as ozarkag pointed out the location of terminals is difficult to determine by stock photos. Might have a line on one here at the NAPA store.

  14. #14ColdBlackWind2023-08-01 08:52

    I found a cut rate unit online. Not what I wanted to do but if it can get be back to work I can wait for the parts for the local shop to rebuild the original. A little bit of a pain to change but I have seen worse. The dang plug was the hardest part of removing. Broken finger and splint on right hand when you are right handed adds a degree of complexity.

  15. #15uglyguy2023-08-04 12:20

    I had the same issue on my Cat 299d2. I first bought a new battery ($500) and then fiqured out it was my alternator. I bought the one picture below on Ebay. Solved my issue and was easy to install.

  16. #16uglyguy2023-08-04 12:23

    I had the same issue on my Cat 299d2. I first bought a new battery ($500) and then fiqured out it was my alternator. I bought the one picture below on Ebay. Solved my issue and was easy to install.

  17. #17uglyguy2023-08-04 12:25

    I had the same issue on my Cat 299d2. I first bought a new battery ($500) and then fiqured out it was my alternator. I bought the one picture below on Ebay. Solved my issue and was easy to install.

  18. #18ColdBlackWind2023-08-08 07:41

    Alternator replaced. Problem solved. Hopefully I can get some work done with the machine instead of on the machine.