Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 299C TRACK tensioner help

bsamot69 ยท 2022-09-08 17:29

Our 299c track tensioner is leaking grease. Figured pull it apart to install new seal, like our other equipment. This assembly has a second seal on an inner tube that is backside of a block in the tube. Does anybody have a diagram of this tensioner? Do we need to pull out the rest of assembly that sits on top of spring to replace the seal? What does that entail? Did not think this was going to be this complicated. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2022-09-08 17:42

    If you want a parts diagram or some disassembly/assembly instructions a Serial Number would be a good start.

  2. #2bsamot692022-09-08 17:59

    I apologize, I was in excitable mode... JSP 00243 is number

  3. #3heymccall2022-09-08 18:16

    #1 keeps the grease in, and #2 keeps the dirt out.

  4. #4heymccall2022-09-08 18:22

    Remove track. Slide out idler assembly (heavy). Reach in and slide out recoil assembly (#2 in below image). Referring to parts list: Extract #10 plunger. Remove dust seal #2. Remove #1 U-cup seal.

  5. #5bsamot692022-09-10 22:16

    THANK YOU ALL for the help. The machine is back together with your help. Thanks again!

  6. #6Seanson362024-09-29 12:01

    Do I need to remove the castle nut to pull out the shaft in order to get to the inside seal?

  7. #7Nige2024-09-29 12:22

    No. All you need is a grease gun on the zerk for the tensioner and pump away. The grease will pop the plunger #2 out of the opposite end to the spring and allow you to get access to the two seals #3 and 4. NOTE: CARE NEEDED. Removing the castle nut will result in the recoil assembly literally exploding. Disassembly of the spring requires that the whole assembly to be put in a press to compress the spring before removing the nut.

  8. #8DanTX2024-10-09 19:38

    Hello All, I am in the process of re-sealing my track tensioner cylinders as well and have a question on the orientation of the seal and wiper. The reason I ask in the old seals disintegrated upon removal. I believe the inner seal goes in with the yellow side facing in and the black split spacer facing out. On the wiper, there are weep holes on one side, I'm guessing the weep holes face out. Can anyone confirm?

  9. #9Tyler d4c2024-10-09 20:29

    The yellow seal goes with the lig toward the grease like you discribed it im 99 percent sure i can confirm tomarrow and the wiper should go the oppisite direction as in the photo

  10. #10DanTX2024-10-09 21:01

    Tyler d4c, thank you for the reply. Just to confirm, I hope you're right, because I already installed the seal. If you're looking at the picture of the seal in the plastic as it came from Cat. The yellow side will is facing in toward grease and the side with the black split spacer is facing out. I'll turn the wiper over.