Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat0299dlhcl00546 continuous flow

wriggconst · 2022-09-07 19:38

I can't get continuous flow to work on my brush cutter.It would work randomly last year but not this year. I checked fuses and checked for continuity on the lower left button on the left joystick. I bought the service manual and can't find anything about fixing my problem. I would sure appreciate any help. TIA

Replies23
  1. #1ahart2022-09-08 17:35

    I’m going to guess you’ll have to hook ET to the machine to see if the ECM is registering when you’re pushing the continuous flow button and releasing it.

  2. #2wriggconst2022-09-08 20:18

    Thank you for your reply. My closest Cat dealer is 1.5 hrs away. Can anyone else do that? Thank you. Wayne

  3. #3heymccall2022-09-08 21:05

    On my 262D3, you have to press this button, after releasing the parking brake, then hold function button for 2 seconds to enable continuous flow.

  4. #4heymccall2022-09-08 21:07

    I thought auxiliary was on RH joystick, like here.

  5. #5wriggconst2022-09-08 21:39

    Mine does not have that switch. According to the manual you are supposed to hold the lower left button on the left joystick while rolling the thumb switch on the right joystick.It worked randomly last year but not now.

  6. #6heymccall2022-09-08 22:00

    So, yours is like this?

  7. #7wriggconst2022-09-08 22:25

    Yes

  8. #8heymccall2022-09-09 00:36

    Well, since you has service manual, look at schematic for the two wires from the lower left button on the LH joystick. Unplug joystick and ohm test them two wires.

  9. #9wriggconst2022-09-09 07:29

    Thanks for the replies. I did check those wires and there is continuity when the switch is pressed with ignition off.

  10. #10Nige2022-09-09 08:51

    If your multimeter has the capacity to measure duty cycle you could measure the output from the thumbwheel sensor. It wouldn’t be the first time a thumbwheel sensor has failed. The downside if it has failed is that the complete joystick base base to be replaced @ $$$.

  11. #11Nige2022-09-09 09:52

    I need to correct what I said above. If the roller sensor has failed you'll need a new handle, not a new base. You need to be looking at the top 3 wires. Between power and ground should be 8v. Duty cycle on the signal wire will be measured in %. I think it should be 50% in the centre, close to 0% rolled all the way one way, and close to 100% rolled all the way the other way.

  12. #12wriggconst2022-09-09 20:06

    Thanks for the replies. I don't know if my tester will measure the duty cycle. It is at the farm with the machine about 3 hrs away. I will be going there in about 2 weeks and will check then. If the roller switch runs the brushcutter on high flow, does that mean the roller switch is working okay or not? Thanks Wayne

  13. #13Nige2022-09-10 04:51

    If there are other machine functions that use the thumbwheel roller control and those functions work as designed then IMO it is unlikely that the roller position sensor is the problem.

  14. #14wriggconst2022-09-10 07:55

    The brushcutter is the only attachment I have that uses the thumbwheel roller control and it works when I hold it. But no matter what I try with the continuous flow button it won't stay on. Is there some kind of a valve that operates the continuous flow? Thanks Wayne

  15. #15wriggconst2022-10-01 16:26

    I was able to read the duty cycle of the roller switch with no attachment. One way read 79%, the other way read 22%, and the center read 40%. It has 8v power . Anything else I can check? Thanks so much. Wayne

  16. #16Nige2022-10-01 16:41

    I'm not so sure about those % figures. Centre should read 50% as near as damn it and the extremes less than 5% one way and over 95% the other way. I'd be interested to hear what @ahart makes of those numbers. Maybe it's back to what he suggested earlier of hooking up ET to observe the status of the Continuous Flow switch on the joystick.? If you haven't done so already make sure the Continuous Flow switch on the LH joystick is working correctly. Measure the resistance between Pins 11 & 12. With the switch button pressed you should have continuity, with the button released it should be open circuit.

  17. #17Chrisso2022-10-01 20:02

    To clear up any confusion, the continuous flow in the D's works like this... Numbers are not good. As Nige said it should be closer to 50% while centered... +/- a couple, and very close to 100% and 0% when moved in either direction. Depends what you mean by ok. In one direction you're only getting 79% of the available hydraulic power through the auxiliary circuit and the missing 21% probably isn't noticeable. The other thing is... if the roller is being silly the percentage will change without touching it. This alone will cancel continuous flow because the ECM thinks you're moving the thumbwheel. Even if it's just flicking between say 40.1 % and 40.2%, that will be enough to cancel continuous flow. This is a screenshot taken from ET with a centered thumbwheel. Note the 50.something % and the continuous flow button status... The two circled parameters are the ones you need to pay attention to. If you don't have access to ET that's fine, it just takes a hell of a lot longer using a DMM.

  18. #18wriggconst2022-10-02 11:17
  19. #19wriggconst2022-10-02 11:28

    It's been a couple days since I checked the roller switch but I think the percentages were varying. The continuous flow switch did have continuity when depressed. It had 13v to it when running. Thanks for the replies. Wayne

  20. #20wriggconst2022-10-02 14:20

    IF the percentages are low and vary does that mean the roller switch is bad? Thanks Wayne

  21. #21Chrisso2022-10-02 15:54

    Providing your DMM readings are correct, yes. 273-9104 CONTROL GP-HANDLE -RH is the p/n you need. It's amazingly expensive.

  22. #22wriggconst2022-10-02 18:08

    Thanks for the reply, I will check it out. Thanks again Wayne

  23. #23wriggconst2022-10-02 20:14

    I guess it is expensive. I wish I could be sure that it is the problem. I would hate to spend 1k and not fix it. But if the numbers aren't right then that must be the problem. Thanks Wayne