Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 299C Undercarriage moving

hOOPSNAKE · 2021-11-02 04:49

Hi all, I have a new to me Cat 299c loader and the undercarriage seems to be a bit sloppy and is moving when turned. According to the parts diagram, there’s a spacer on the axel before it passes through the undercarriage. Could this be worn out to cause the problem I’m experiencing? Thanks for looking Photos for a better idea.

Replies10
  1. #1Vetech632021-11-02 07:50

    I don't have a breakdown of that but I do believe there was some kind of spacer in there.........its obviously gone now.

  2. #2Chrisso2021-11-02 08:19

    Your parts diagram is correct. I'm guessing the spacers are worn thin, but the wear could also be in the frame. Only way to know for sure is to slide the tack frames off. Those track frames have bushes in them too. Definitely need some grease in there!

  3. #3hOOPSNAKE2021-11-02 18:26

    Yeah, it’s got some grease in it but not all the nipples take grease, even after changing. She’s solid on some.

  4. #4KSSS2021-11-02 21:47

    If the greasing hasn't been kept up on those, getting them to take grease again can be a chore, from what I hear.

  5. #5KWhauling2021-11-21 05:46

    I had I 299c you must grease it every 10 hours it will start making noise to let you know as far as get it to take grease take the fittings out clean as much grease out as possible fill it back up with carburetor cleaner put the fitting in and pump It up run it a little bit and keep doing that carburetor cleaner will break up the old hard and grease another thing we did already have somebody driving the machine twisting and turning and somebody pumping the grease gun good luck there a bear to get grease in when it won't take it

  6. #6673moto2021-11-21 10:32

    It’s not so much the zirt fittings as it is the grease channels in the bushing become clogged. Sometimes an electric grease gun will force it thru... but more likely you will have to slide the track frame off and clean out/replace worn or broken/missing parts. Grease those fittings religiously!! Also, on another thread someone suggested removing the fitting and hooking up a hydraulic porta-power to force oil through and clear the blockage

  7. #7NepeanGC2021-11-24 18:30

    For stubborn fittings that don't take grease anymore, I've had good luck using a grease joint rejuvenator. Depending on how bad it is, you can either put oil in it, or a solvent. It works well, but it doesn't do miracles.

  8. #8Acoals2021-12-16 13:25

    Those track frame bushings are a pain. You can't grease them too much. Once they get to where they won't take grease, you can fiddle around trying to force grease in, but the reason they won't take it is often because the bushings in the track frame are worn and "Smooshed" over the grease gallery. The only real solution is to take it apart and replace the track frame bushings. While you are doing that you can shim things up to take out some of that movement in the track frame. It isn't a complicated job, Jack one side up, pull the track, slide the track frame off the torsion axles, and replace the bushings, two per hole. If you let it go to far you end up wearing out the axles at like $1000 a pop or something.

  9. #9hOOPSNAKE2021-12-16 19:36

    Thanks for all the replies, guys.

  10. #10Ron Crudge2023-04-12 01:50

    I had one would not take grease took frame rail off and bushing was turned and rusted bad. Four hours to get bushing out. Loknlube has a small tool, suppose to be able to put Kroil penetrating oil in and hydraulically press fluid thru, kinda worked on couple but the one just would not break free. The bushings inside tube direct grease and if turned or rusted no where for grease to go. Broke tool waiting for reply from loknlube.