Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 299D

Eddie R ยท 2020-11-07 13:51

OK, I'm completely stumped! Was running in a very silty environment for a couple hours when the machine sputtered and died. Since then machine with start but only stay running 1-2 seconds and die. Initial code was for air inlet temp above normal. Took out filters and and put new ones in, were dirty but not enough that should have caused a shutdown (and double checked to make sure I put them in the right way). Still not staying running. Fuel level showed 1/4 so added another 5 gallons, no change. Have hooked it up to ET and erased all codes, logged ones included. Fuel filters are clean and have good fuel flow out of transfer pump. ET shows excellent rail pressure at startup but drops off quickly as it dies, can't quite tell which one is occurring first. Thought maybe the solenoid was bad so put a new transfer pump and fuel pump in but still having same problem. put in new battery because the voltage was slightly low. Pulled fuel cap to make sure it wasn't a venting problem, no change. Pulled air inlet to make sure had good flow, no change. There have been no further codes, as far as ET is concerned everything is working right. For the 1-2 seconds it fires it sounds great, no black smoke, doesn't sound like a low idle, no lope.

Replies3
  1. #1Eddie R2020-11-07 14:08

    I have also checked all fuses and relays.

  2. #2Vetech632020-11-07 17:00

    Those machines had some wiring issues. I would unplug and check every electrical connector on the engine. Most electrical issues I have found were located at the main harness plug ins behind the cab.

  3. #3Eddie R2020-11-08 17:34

    So,.......... after pulling the first sensor out of the DPF the dang machine starts and runs! The dang DPF is completely plugged and creating so much back-pressure so as to not allow the engine to stay running. ET showed it being 75% so apparently I have a bad sensor as well, and that is probably also why it wouldn't allow me to force a regen last month. Now, anyone have a easier solution to getting the DPF out without pulling the entire engine?