Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 299D Alternator Replacement Option

Makers Acres ยท 2025-06-23 19:22

Hey all, just wanted to share my video of diagnosing my bad alternator on my CAT299D. I found a much cheaper option than an alternator from CAT and it has been running for the last 2 years without issues! CAT wants around 1K for it! I found this one for around $180. Pretty sure the aftermarket one came out of the same factory based on the casting marks.

Replies8
  1. #1ianjoub2025-06-23 19:27

    I replaced the one on my CAT 287 with one from amazon for $79. When I removed the old one I found bad wires, the actual problem. I did put the new amazon one on while I was in there though as I had already bought it. I sold the machine but know the guy who bought it. 6 years later and no charging issues.

  2. #2Makers Acres2025-06-23 19:40

    I wasn't lucky enough with bad wires on this one. The diode pack went bad. I did find an aftermarket kit to replace those, but this alternator is a bit difficult to swap these parts.

  3. #3ColdBlackWind2025-07-10 09:10

    I did the same. Avoided the OEM alternator and went with ebay unit. My alternator guy couldnt get parts for the CAT original one. As easy as they are to replace I figure I can put 2-3 on it. Original went 2200 hours. I have 300 on replacement.

  4. #4Simon C2025-07-10 13:17

    Watched your entire video. Quite good for the non-experienced folks to learn from. Appreciate that it takes a lot of work to post such a video. At that price worth trying as compared to a new unit from Cat especially in Canadian dollars. Good to see you cleaned up the connections, just wanted to mention that dielectric grease is a non-conductor, not really that good on a push on connector. I usually just give a tiny spray of Lloyd Moovit or Deep Creep to prevent corrosion and does wash off very easily with brakleen. Not the case with Dielectric grease as is super hard to clean out. Overall good job on the presentation and tips to save a pile of money. Simon C

  5. #5John Strange2025-08-17 00:55

    Yah I lost my alternator as well, ordered a new one on amazon it's been going strong for 2 years now.

  6. #6Simon C2025-08-17 22:24

    A guy does whatever works with the money at hand. Glad Makers Acres posted what worked for him as many more will do same thing no doubt. Not every one has extra $800 to send to Cat. Simon C

  7. #7John Strange2025-09-14 15:17

    I didn't purchase a cat one, it's a knockoff and works like a champ, no way was I going to pay CAT $1000 for an alternator.

  8. #8Simon C2025-09-14 22:42

    Thats $1000 US., here in Canada just add about 35% more for exchange. Not pretty. Simon C