Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 299D Rebuild Videos…

Makers Acres ยท 2020-12-06 13:23

Hey everybody, I bought a CAT 299D and I am slowly rebuilding it. I am also documenting and posting videos about it weekly. I thought this might be able to provide useful information to anyone who might also be working on a CAT Skid Steer or Compact Track Loader. Here is a link to my playlist of CAT related videos: (I'm not sure if the playlist link will work so I am also including a link to the channel) Channel Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVhyeGJo2SSjocDkiqhWbpw Any feedback would be helpful to since I want to make these packed full of good and useful information! Thanks, Bobby

Replies2
  1. #1scottwolowich2020-12-06 13:32

    Cool I will check these out. Currently have my mini excavator in the shop for the winter and planning to do some similar refurbishing after catching up on repairs. Good cleaning and attention to detail from what I've seen so far. I would probably avoid honing the bushings though - that's your wear surface, probably could have used a slightly less aggressive method to clean those out. Maybe a brass wire wheel or some elbow grease.

  2. #2Makers Acres2020-12-06 15:11

    Thank you for the feedback! The surfaces were in really bad shape on these holes. They seemed to have been run dry for years and the surface suffered from pitting and wear. I could not think of another method that would get these smooth again and do it consistently without a big jig to make sure the tool was straight. The honing tool seemed to let the stones float and align themselves which is one of the reasons I thought it would work pretty well. I was not very aggressive with it. Just enough to get the surfaces smooth again. The honing tool was designed for brake cylinders, so I think the stones were a pretty fine grit too.