Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 299D throws E 361-3, E 875-2

IndianaAg · 2023-04-30 18:43

We have a 2020 CAT 299D (brand new to us) that is throwing two codes, E 361-3 and E 875-2. Does anyone know what these are and where we start to look to fix them?

Replies9
  1. #1Nige2023-04-30 18:57

    Please post a Serial Number to help in locating technical information. Those two are Events, not Diagnostic Codes. Under what conditions do you see each of them.? Are you sure the E361 is not -2 rather than -3.? E361(2) - High Engine Coolant Temperature Activates when the ECM detects the engine coolant temperature to be > 110° C (230° F). The engine indicator, located on the left side instrument cluster turns red and an audible alert will sound. Reduce load and allow engine to cool. Deactivates when the engine coolant temperature is < 110° C (230° F). E875(2) - Low System Voltage Activates when the engine is running and battery voltage is 12.25 VDC for 2 seconds. There is an increased charging system problem. Battery voltage is becoming too low for continued operation. If the level 2 event remains active for more than 5 minutes or is repeatedly activated, shutdown operation at the earliest opportunity. Troubleshoot the charging system.

  2. #2IndianaAg2023-04-30 21:45

    Thank you very much. Any thoughts and what we do to repair the 361 error? I'm wondering if the operator might have been running the machine in "High" instead of low? and whether that may have cause the event? It is 361 not 261.

  3. #3IndianaAg2023-04-30 21:46

    Also, I think it's possible the 875 error was do to holding the start without pre-heating?

  4. #4Nige2023-04-30 21:49

    That's not what I was asking. There are 2 versions of the E361 Event; E361-2 and E361-3. Also need that Serial number to look up info. As I asked before, can you remember exactly what you/the machine was doing when each of the Events popped up.?

  5. #5IndianaAg2023-05-01 00:27

    I'm sorry, I miss understood. The code is E361-3. The machine was pushing some mud and gravel for about 15-20 minutes before it started smoking and derated. (After a trans farm trip of about 1/2 mile.) I'll have to get the serial number tomorrow.

  6. #6Nige2023-05-01 10:01

    OK, now it's starting to make sense. So you understand the difference between Diagnostic Codes and Events. A Diagnostic Code is when some electronic component registers a fault that would either prevent the machine from operating correctly or prevent an operator warning (Event) being generated. An Event is when all the electronics are working correctly but some parameter of the machine goes out of range. Like in your case with the E361 Event the coolant temperature has gone way too high. If I was you I would be removing the radiator/hydraulics cooling package and give it a thorough clean out. The cooling pack does tilt slightly but the opinion of most of the experts is that angle is not enough to get in and clean it completely. To do that it has to come out, separate the radiator/oil cooler, and give everything a complete cleaning with a pressure washer. Instructions for tilting and R&I attached. BTW do you have a manual for it.? If not then you really ought to get one ASAP. A S/No identifies the correct document.

  7. #7Nige2023-05-01 23:09

    Something that came to me today that it would pay you to bear in mind. The engines in this whole line of product do NOT like being repeatedly overheated. Repeated overheating will significantly shorten engine life and could in the worst case lead to a catastrophic engine failure. It seems as though there is little difference cost-wise between repairing one of these engines or replacing it. Both options will likely cost somewhere around the $25k mark. That being the case I think you might be well advised to get to the bottom of why the overheating is occuring, otherwise it could cost you dearly.

  8. #8IndianaAg2023-05-02 01:03

    I want to tell you how much we appreciate your help and thoughts. We have a not for profit horse rescue and this was a major purchase for the operation, especially to have this type of problem so soon after purchase. Thank you... beyond words!

  9. #9Nige2023-05-02 11:31

    Based on the above comments if I was in your shoes I would be very worried. Worried enough to get into the cooling system ASAP and do something about it. The cooling package of radiator and hydraulic oil cooler on these machines is so "tightly wrapped" that it is almost impossible to clean anything other than a very limited external cleaning even if you tilt it upwards. To repeat an earlier question. Do you have a manual for it.? If not IMHO you need one ASAP but it requires the S/N to identify the correct document. They are not expensive, less than $70 IIRC.