Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 299D2 Fault codes

Mr. Wrench ยท 2025-11-25 20:55

I have some codes on a CAT 299D2 s/n FD 203737. These are the two codes I'm having trouble with: 4357-5 ACU Aftertreatment # SCR Catalyst Reagent Line Heater #4 Current Below Normal. 3516-11 ACU Catalyst Reagent Concentration Other Failure Mode. In another thread I found the diagnostic procedure for code 3516-11. It seems to have to do with the quality of the DEF fluid or maybe even the DEF header unit being bad. Can you help me with code 4357-5? What is the catalyst reagent line heater?

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2025-11-26 10:40

    See attached. I assume that you have an electrical schematic. If not you will likely need one.

  2. #2Mr. Wrench2025-11-26 13:11

    Thank you for the DEF line heater diagnostic procedure. The wiring diagram I have for the D2 series is # UENR5959-06. I'm not sure it covers that s/n range. Is it the right one?

  3. #3Nige2025-11-26 16:38

    No, you will need UENR8025-05 for FD2-prefix machines with S/N above 1724. Check your messages.

  4. #4Mr. Wrench2025-12-02 22:04

    Just want to give an update on the 299D2. The code 4357-5 means the DEF return line heater current is below normal. There is three line heaters on it, so I compared the ohms reading on all of them. The return line one was open. I have the part ordered for that and that should fix it. For code 3516-11 I first tested the DEF and it came in at 35. I know it should be around 32.5 so drained it all out of the tank. I did not clean out the lines. It did not look bad at all, and I'm not sure it is really to far out of range, but I just want to be sure. I cleared the code and ran it for a little and the code came back. I checked that the sensor is getting power and ground. Also checked the CAN wires from it to the DCU and they seem to be ok. I think now that the sensor must be bad. Do you have to replace the whole header assembly? I'm not sure how sensitive these systems are. Am I missing anything?

  5. #5Mr. Wrench2025-12-03 14:28

    In the diagnostic procedure for the code 3516-11 it says that after you replace the DEF header/manifold to clear the codes and reset the DCU. Does any one know anything about that? I have not replaced the header yet, I want to make sure I am not missing anything. Just hoping for so input.

  6. #6Mr. Wrench2025-12-10 22:26

    So I loaded the parts cannon on the 299D2. I replaced the DEF return line and that took care of the code 4357-5. Went ahead and replaced the DEF header/manifold assembly. Cleared the codes and ran it though several cycles. No active or stored events. No active or stored diagnostics. Thank you for the help guys!

  7. #7Mr. Wrench2025-12-10 22:54

    I was talking to a local CAT mechanic and he said that the D2's seemed to have more trouble with the aftertreatment system and the parts for them are more expensive.