Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 299d2 hydraulics overheating

Micah Downey ยท 2022-09-16 17:59

Please help if you can. I have a 2018 cat 299d2 with 2622 hours on it. Machine just came from Cat dealer and had the 2000 hour service done ($2700+). It works great except for low flow wants to overheat the hydraulics (210+ degrees). I have used 2 different attachments and they both made the hydraulics overheat ( brush cutter and broom). But when I use my Fecon mulcher in high flow I can,t get it over 170 degrees. Any ideas?

Replies15
  1. #1Vetech632022-09-16 18:18

    Was there a problem before you had it serviced?

  2. #2Micah Downey2022-09-16 19:06

    Yes. I just added that detail to eliminate that response

  3. #3Tyler d4c2022-09-16 19:48

    Are you totally sure that high flow is shutting off

  4. #4Micah Downey2022-09-16 20:26

    High flow works perfectly. I can't get the temp over 170. Only overheats on low flow

  5. #5Tyler d4c2022-09-16 20:46

    Are you sure the high flow is turning off just because the jumper is out and the light is off doesn't mean it's off could have a problem down the line trying to shove 40gpm down a line ment for 20 will cause it to get hot

  6. #6Micah Downey2022-09-17 05:04

    I'm pretty sure it's on low flow because cat's don't high flow when you pull the rocker switch back. Only forward.

  7. #7Tyler d4c2022-09-17 09:29

    I think my first step would be to put a flow meter on ot and make sure it is out of high flow

  8. #8Nige2022-09-17 09:58

    You can put the switch in the correct position and the HF warning light might go off, but what happens if whatever valve the HF switch controls is stuck in the ON position.?

  9. #9Micah Downey2022-09-17 10:18

    I understand what you are saying. But from what I understand, someone correct me if I'm wrong, Cats are not able to high flow in reverse. As in, the pump doesn't have the provision to high flow in reverse.

  10. #10Tyler d4c2022-09-17 20:19

    The pump has nothing to do with the oil direction coming out of the auxiliary ports thats the valves job my 279c cat flows both ways in high flow so till proven otherwise I'm going to say you've received some info of the not so good flavor.

  11. #11ryexservices2024-07-15 15:19

    We are having a similar problem with our 2014 CAT 299D XHP. It only overheats with standard flow attachments. Did anyone find a solution to this problem?

  12. #12Tyler d4c2024-07-15 15:38

    Are you using the high flow jumper plug with your low flow attachment

  13. #13ryexservices2024-07-15 15:40

    No, we are not using a high flow jumper plug. Additionally, the radiator and cooling system are not an issue as the high flow attachments function without overheating.

  14. #14Tyler d4c2024-07-15 16:08

    What Is the required flow for the attachment thats overheating.

  15. #15ryexservices2024-07-15 16:18

    The manufacturer describes the attachment as a standard flow mower that requires 14-25 gallons per minute. Our machine has hydraulic flow of 23 gallons per minute.