Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 299D2 No Hydraulic

back40farm · 2026-01-08 18:16

Hi all, Serial #: EFD202983 I’ve scoured the message boards and tried everything that I’ve come across, but my machine is still immobile. Out plowing snow a week ago, running good (engine and Hyd) and just out of no where I lost my hydraulics (no loader or track movement). Joysticks both work, I can see them moving is the status parameters and back up camera still activates. The unit is deleted and had an emissions related code but I got that cleared yesterday and still no dice. I’ve checked the seat switch, door switch, lap bar and all that stuff checks out (lights go on off on the dash when out, unhooked the door bypass plug and it throws a code for door open). Checked out the red Hyd release handle and it’s good (I think anyways, it’s all the way down and not hanging up at the valve). Currently it runs and idles fine (will go right up to governed RPM), and it showing 0 current events in the dash. The amber ‘!’ illumination flashes on the dash but it’s not showing any events when I pull the codes. I was thinking maybe hydraulic drive coupler popped - which may be but I am curious as I feel it would throw a code/shut down event for low hydraulic pressure? I have a bobcat that does that every time the drive belt pops - ECM sees 0 pressure and shuts the unit down. Don’t have access to ET at the moment, that’s my next step, but jus curious for any other ideas to try?

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2026-01-08 18:24

    The way you lost everything (propel & implements) at the very same time gives me an idea. Try a simple test that requires two people. Have someone stand by the open engine compartment door. Start the engine. Does the radiator cooling fan start turning immediately.? Report your findings.

  2. #2back40farm2026-01-08 18:34

    Ah yes - I should have mentioned that - no hydraulic radiator fan or hydraulic wedge detach. Neither of those works as well.

  3. #3Nige2026-01-08 18:38

    In that case the coupler between the engine and the pump stack has failed. Pretty simple diagnosis.

  4. #4back40farm2026-01-08 18:41

    Oh ok perfect (I guess ). Just wasn’t sure if it was some electrical interlock holding it up somehow. From what I read, coupler is similar to the DPF? Pull the motor to get to it?

  5. #5Nige2026-01-08 18:49

    It all depends what you have for lifting equipment. Some people prefer go in through the rear cab firewall and slide the pump stack forward, others to snatch the engine. It's very much a case of six of one and half a dozen of the other although the "official method" per the service manual is to snatch the engine. Be warned that to separate the pump stack from the engine requires a cranked adapter wrench to get at the two bolts. You don't have to use the Cat tool Part Number but it will need something similar.

  6. #6back40farm2026-01-08 19:10

    Ah this is perfect - I think the hardest part will be getting it slid across the yard and into the shop! Thanks a bunch for the help - really appreciated.

  7. #7Nige2026-01-08 20:16

    As they say in the best of manuals - "for reinstallation reverse the removal process".

  8. #892U 34062026-01-08 20:17

    I've never had to do that job on a 299D but what I did on the 289D and smaller was use a torque adapter and a ratchet with an extension on the pump bolts to break them free and then found a stubby open end wrench that would fit over the 12 point head and used that to turn the bolts out the rest of the way.