Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 299D2 XHP 2018 Low Power with code 3361-5 S/N DX202954

fultsie · 2025-06-15 12:18

Hello all, I'm a newbie to construction equipment and REALLY appreciate all I've learned from this awesome resource, thank you all! I've reviewed the troubleshooting (thank you Nige and others) and need to access the DEF injector, wiring harness, DCU, etc. After searching and searching, I can't find a good R&R procedure. This thing is just so packed full of "stuff" I don't want to remove more than necessary. The 3361-5 code had been intermittent, not presenting any operational issues. As it occurred more often, the RPM would go to WOT, but then gradually drop down. The RPM dropping senario gradually got worse and the code now remains active all the time. I've cleared it on the graphic panel with no effect. Now it will start and idle, but not go beyond 200 RPM above idle so she won't move. I do have Cat ET and all the manuals. When I connect ET, it will connect to only 3 ECM's. The fuel supply from the transfer pump to the water separator/filter to the relief valve is just fine. I've not yet checked to see if the relief valve is stuck open (if that's even possible) I have a few questions that would really help me out: 1) What is the best way to access these components? 2) Is it possible I've already clogged the DPF? 3) Why would the RPM gradually drop, is it derating itself? Wouldn't there be another code indicating derate? 4) I'm evaluating just deleting the emissions equipment, especially if the DEF injector solenoid is dead. Is the "sensor emulator" or "re-flashing" approach the way to go? 5) How difficult is it to access the DPF for cleaning or replacing with a straight pipe? Many and much thanks, I hope to payback the help as I learn more about these impressive (but complex) machines!......Steve

Replies19
  1. #1Nige2025-06-15 15:47

    You have ET so please download a Product Status Report in pdf format and post it up.

  2. #2fultsie2025-06-15 16:52

    Thanks a million! Will do tomorrow, I'm drinking through a fire hose. I just read up on the PSR function and will convert the .xml to .pdf and post it....Steve

  3. #3Nige2025-06-15 16:57

    This VIDEO should tell you all you neeed to know. You can actually download the PSR directly as a pdf

  4. #4fultsie2025-06-15 20:43

    Ah yes, "SAVE AS". Thanks so much!

  5. #5fultsie2025-06-16 11:12

    Good morning. Here is the PSR, but it's not complete. I can only connect to 3 of the 4 ECM's. The Cat Adapter III RP1210 say's CDL link is not detected. I'm working to resolve that now. I did clear codes and it came out of derate so I can at least load it....maybe. After reading the PSR, it looks like the dosing unit has been inop for a while. I've only put about 25 hours on it. The 523524-4 would come on VERY intermittently at WOT. I started running it at about 90%-95% power and it never returned active. Thought's please?....thanks.....Steve

  6. #6fultsie2025-06-16 15:28

    Actually a correction. ET via Cat Adapter III will connect to all 4 ECM's, but the 299 Machine Control says "incomplete". It says it needs dual data, CDL and J1939. For some reason the CDL isn't detected. The error says to check the adapter, wiring, plugs. They all seem fine.

  7. #7Nige2025-06-17 04:40

    It appears as though the 3361-5 and 523524-4 could possibly be related, because the troubleshooting procedure for the 3361-5 states to perform an "injector Solenoid Test". See attached.

  8. #8fultsie2025-06-23 16:49

    Thanks Nige. After removing the radiator, I checked the DEF injector, 6.9 ohms. Tomorrow I hope to check the harness. The derate will clear when I clear the 3361-6, but only for a minute or so. That allowed me to get it on the trailer and back home to my garage. I hope to have time to work on it tomorrow....thanks again.....Steve

  9. #9fultsie2025-06-23 16:50

    Sorry, 3361-5.....fat fingers.

  10. #10fultsie2025-06-25 20:57

    Well, I think I understand the failure. Checking resistance on pins 7 and 8 at the DCU reads 10.5 ohms (supposed to be 7 ohms). If I wiggle the DEF injector connector the resistance goes crazy. Called the CAT dealer and he said it's VERY common and due to DEF fluid finding it's way into the connector. The fluid is highly corrosive. Sure enough I cut the plug apart and skinned the wires back, totally corroded, black and powdery. Cat sells a kit to replace the plug if the corrosion doesn't go too far into the harness. If it's more than about 6 inches, the entire harness needs to be replaced. I think this is the failure. Once repaired I'll report back. Thanks....Steve

  11. #11Nige2025-06-26 04:23

    Do you have a Part Number for future reference.?

  12. #12fultsie2025-06-26 19:23

    437-1451: Wire Assembly Kit

  13. #13fultsie2025-06-26 19:25

    I also found the OEM number PA66-15GC Amazon $12 CAT 4371451 price is about $32

  14. #14Chrisso2025-06-27 05:35

    Good find. To prevent a repeat failure though you'll need to fix the bit that's leaking DEF into the harness (replace DEF injector). Only 200 hours on this machine??

  15. #15fultsie2025-06-27 11:30

    Thanks for the heads up on replacing the DEF injector. It's about $1,600, so I've elected another route. This is my personal machine (not commercially used) and 100% off-road. The Clean Air Act provides an exemption. The machine has ~3400 hours shown on the display, but the ECM says different. I have no clue why, I bought it at auction about 4 months ago. It was a CAT rental machine to a single customer that had just come off the program. When I bought it, it ran fantastic and worked great for ~30 hours. Is used no oil. I thought maybe the engine was replaced, but it doesn't make sense that they would replace the engine and then send it to an auction. Thanks again, I LOVE this forum : )

  16. #16Nige2025-06-27 12:33

    Out of interest what does the ECM say.? Now that you have it communicating correctly after the information supplied by @Cmark why not hook up to it and download a complete PSR.? Do the Diagnostic Clocks on all ECMs agree with one another.? Original engine S/N was 2AJ0473. What's in it right now.?

  17. #17fultsie2025-06-27 21:21

    Nige, I still don't have ET working with the CDL interface. ECM Machine 299 still says "incomplete" even after following @Cmark sage suggestion. I'm starting to doubt my adapter is OEM even though it has all the right labels, etc. You get what you pay for, my bad. The current engine S/N appears to be 2RJ1178. Where did you find the original engine S/N 2AJ0473? Might I have a 200 hour engine? Too good to be true?....nah

  18. #18Cmark2025-06-27 22:33

    From what I can see, sometime between April 2024 and August 2025 your machine went from reporting engine serial number 2JA0473 to 2RJ1178. This doesn't necessarily mean an engine swap. Just a different ECM. But an engine swap is the most plausible explanation without physically checking what's stamped on the engine. So that's that. Now the communication fault. Two PSRs were downloaded on the 16th of this month, both reporting the incomplete comms with the machine control. I guess these were both you? The previous PSR was in Dec 2024 and shows the machine successfully connected on all data links. If this was before you owned the machine, it suggests the problem is with your ET/CA3/Data link cable, not the machine.

  19. #19Nige2025-06-29 15:13

    That information came from the "as-built consist" of the DX202954 machine Serial Number.