Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 299D3 Code Meaning?

RTSmith · 2021-07-07 14:20

Serial number #DY901378. About 80 hours on the clock. Within the first few moments of starting, this code screen pops up. Then goes away. Nothing showing in the Logged Codes file from the display. Ideas?

Replies18
  1. #1Nige2021-07-07 17:26

    It's a new machine with 80 hours. Have you asked the dealer.? This may be something. Sounds like the DEF fluid should be replaced. How long has it been in there.? Apparently it doesn't have a very long shelf life.

  2. #2BigWrench552021-07-07 18:32

    Teir4 final ( exhaust after treatment system with def) federally mandated to be warranted up to 7500 hours or 5 years. I could be wrong about the hours but there is definitely a warranty unless you contaminated the def fluid. Then that is all you.

  3. #3RTSmith2021-07-08 10:33

    Thanks for the info. Yes, I reached out to my Cat guy and this is his vacation week apparently. And yes- long term this may get interesting as this is a farm machine, low usage. I wonder if the DEF tank has a drain? I read the code as the DEF was weak, but had never heard of such. First yellow iron with DEF. My Ford trucks drink it fast enough never been a known problem.

  4. #4BigWrench552021-07-08 11:20

    Def has a shelf life of roughly 6 months at room temperature. Depending upon temperature is how fast it will degrade. It will be beneficial for you to get a def fluid refractometer to test the quality of def. I am working on a machine as of this moment that threw a poor def quality code and derated the machine. I tested the quality with my refractometer and it was good. In this case the sensor failed. Which is not uncommon and this is under warranty.

  5. #5CM19952021-07-08 20:18

    The whole service department is on vacation?

  6. #6Welder Dave2021-07-09 14:11

    The specialist that is doing the 2nd procedure on my back is on holidays for July. He is the top one of only 2 for the entire province. I wouldn't want anyone else. A Cat dealer surely has more than 1 guy that can look at your machine, especially since it's brand new with only 80 hours. I pray it's something simple and you don't have continuing problems like on the 150 grader. Every time I read about problems with new machines, I am so glad I have older equipment without emissions and electronic crap to go bad! I do like my 2015 F150 though. Had some issues fixed on warranty but running wise it hasn't had any problems in 112,000kms.

  7. #7RTSmith2021-07-09 14:21

    I generally talk with the Branch Manager at one of the outlying branches. He's a horse riding buddy. I have been burned by the service dept at the "main store". You are nothing but a checkbook to them. But yes- I've always been taught to keep fuel filled, and I've done the DEF that way. This may need to become a "don't keep a lot of DEF in the machine if you aren't running it hard/often". Not like we have to worry about a steel tank rusting like the old days. And yes- I haven't loaded it up for a trip over. Was hoping this group could dial me in on data- and sure enough you all came through again. Thanks.

  8. #8Nige2021-07-09 16:37

    If DEF has a quite short shelf life once opened as indicated by CM1995 then your thought of keeping the DEF tank with just enough in it not to trigger the low level alarm would be a good one IMO. Maybe a case of opening up a new container of DEF, pour a small amount into the 299D then put the rest into one of your pickup trucks.? Also the to repeat the advice posted on more than one thread in regard to operation of TIER 4 machines running DEF is to run the engine hard all the time while the machine is working and do NOT let it idle for anything more than an absolute minimum.

  9. #9CM19952021-07-09 18:08

    Why would a 299 D3 with 80 hours be a checkbook with the service department? This DEF code should be covered under warranty.

  10. #10LostBoulder2021-07-10 12:31

    One question I'd have is have you been running the machine wide open a lot or not? If I understand correctly, a lot of the regen-ing can happen more passively when machine is running hot, wide open, which helps keep the particulates in the filter lower and less need for the engine/computer to force a harder regen. I have no idea how consistent this is across equipment or if any practice is better than another. I've just been told the compacts like my 299D3 will do better if you run it hot. However I imagine my wallet benefits less with filling up fuel more... also feels like it defeats the purpose of helping the environment if I'm burning more fuel + DEF.

  11. #11RTSmith2021-07-12 16:03

    And this probably will be. I may have a distorted view of service centers as I've spent my entire life working in/with auto, heavy truck, & RV customers. We always explain, check & verify. A year ago, I took my 289D (300 hours) to the main store for an oil change, diagnose intermittant camera, check clunking noise in front suspension, and adjust door. Told ready in 3 days. In 3 days I called to see what was up. Svc Mgr out sick, no one knew. Took 3 days and several phone calls for someone to get back with me that it was "ready". I go to pick it up, and at this store they load it for you and then mail the invoice. Maybe Covid related, who knows. Anyway, 2 weeks later after asking i get an invoice including a $50 wash job (on a machine I cleaned before taking it), a new $600 camera, $95 to adjust a door that then now won't hardly close (I since fixed it as the wife was livid), $130 to test drive and declare the noise was a lift arm hitting the stop, a new fuel lift pump (Tech said in notes noticed it wasn't working) , and no oil change- said it wasn't due yet....... So I call the Svc Mgr, and best I can get is it has been so long we don't remember. But it looked like those things needed doing, so we did them. No other real explanation offered. Did volunteer to send a Tech out to change the oil and waive the service call charge. Yippee. So anyway- truthfully I have not dealt with heavy equipment dealer repair shops as a customer. But I know from my days on the Class 8 truck alignment rack that if we surprised a Co. or O/O with a set of tie rod ends on the bill, there'd been a very unhappy customer. And maybe I should have held someone's feet to the fire @ Cat, but it is surprising how detailed the Sales chain of command is, but not so much in service. I can promise- there is so much they can learn from a good independent repair shop's communication style.

  12. #12RTSmith2021-07-12 16:09

    The throttle is a dial, with a green section that is supposed to allow proper regen action. No, depending on usage, wide open isn't something often done. So I don't know if I am conserving DEF, or using more at 2/3 throttle as opposed to WOT.

  13. #13Welder Dave2021-07-12 16:39

    Sounds familiar to the skid steer dealer I had. Take it in for the free service or warranty and they wash it. They tell me it's just an extra service they do no charge for their customers. Take it in about a year later to have an anti-chatter damper put on the lift valve under warranty. Pick it up and there's a charge of $75 for cleaning. It wasn't very dirty but I tell them I would have washed had I known. Then they tell me the cleaning is something they don't always charge for but maybe every 3rd time or so. I can see if you take in a machine covered in mud but you can't say you offer a free cleaning and then accumulate them and charge for them later. The dealer went under a few years later and it' easy to see why. They were even deducting wages from previous coffee breaks because the employment standards says two 10 min. breaks and they were giving two 15 min. breaks. Totally ridiculous!

  14. #14CM19952021-07-12 19:08

    Well if that was the dealer I had to deal with I would buy used, save the money and use a good independent repair shop with good communication.

  15. #15Reuben Frazier2021-07-23 03:59

    Not sure if you’ve fixed this yet but their is a recall of sorts where they replace some parts inside the def tank. One was giving the same code and they fixed the issue.

  16. #16RTSmith2021-07-24 09:28

    Thanks. My Cat guy did respond, and as you guys mentioned asked me to change the DEF. There is purported to be a drain for the tank you see as soon as lift the cab. It is probably time to clean under there again, so I picked up a jug of DEF a few minutes ago. Now to find a shade tree.

  17. #17BigWrench552021-07-24 10:12

    When draining the def fluid turn the key on but engine off. Drain the def and then turn the key off. Refill with new def and then operate as normal. Doing it this way will reset the timer for checking def quality and you will know right away if there is still a problem. If the code comes back then cat owes you a def armature.

  18. #18Reuben Frazier2021-07-25 19:25

    I will also add that if you continue to run the machine with this popping up the parking brake will start activating bringing you to a sudden stop and allowing your head to meet the door in an untimely manner lol This I found out the hard way on numberous occasions unfortunately. Whatever part they replaced on mine resolved the issue and it was a recall of sorts so you might have them double check the serial number and see if yours needs it. Mine sat for almost a year and never gave that code up until 2 weeks ago after running a couple hundred hours so I highly doubt changing the fluid fixes it but I hope it does.