Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 299D3 Fault codes

Mr. Wrench ยท 2025-11-05 12:20

I'm working on a CAT 299D3 and am having trouble with some codes. Serial number is DY901846. These are the codes it has: 651-3 Injector cylinder 1 voltage too high. 3701-15 Aftertreatment diesel particulate filter status high 3701-16 Aftertreatment diesel particulate filter status high. E1239-3 Particulate filter regeneration the initial conditions are not met. E1239-2 Particulate filter regeneration the initial conditions are not met. Those are the codes that are the most trouble I think. When you start it you can tell it is missing on one cylinder. I need to fix that problem first and then see what else that straightens out. it may be able to regen. once that is fixed. Here are some other codes it has: 458-3 358-5 598-5 3700-3 350-5 This one I know how to diagnose from the last one. 2685-8 2686-8 Most of these are for the hydraulics I think. It will drive slow but none of the other hydraulics work. No arm functions or anything. This machine was a real mess when it came in. It had over 25 codes in it when it came in. I started by clearing them all and these are the ones that came back.

Replies9
  1. #1Nige2025-11-05 13:44

    Dear God, all that list above (12 total) are Active.? Here's the one for the injector solenoid to be going on with, seeing as you said you wanted to get it hitting on all four cylinders first. You will need an electrical schematic. It's a different one to the 272D so check your messages.

  2. #2Nige2025-11-05 14:17

    2685-8 & 2686-8 could be related seeing as they both pertain to the drive motor speed sensor assembly on the LH side of the machine. Note carefully the test where it says the machine has to be driven a fair distance to clear the Codes once they have been fixed. I normally reckon about 200 yards.

  3. #3Nige2025-11-06 04:29

    As a result of the E1239 Events reaching a Level 3 this will require a system reset using Cat ET before the machine can be got out of limp mode. E1239(3) - Immediate safe shutdown - Service Tool Regeneration Required. The 3701-15 & -16 are also related. Check your messages.

  4. #4Mr. Wrench2026-01-05 21:08

    Just want to give an update on how this job is coming. Code 651-3 The number 1 injector coil was open. Replaced the injector and now it is hitting on all 4. Code 2685-8 and 2686-8 These were caused by a torn up wire harness from the track motor to inside the frame. I replaced the harness and the code had cleared by the time I had backed it out of the shop. Code 358-5 This was because the Implement Control Solenoid was unplugged. Code 598-5 This was because the Travel Speed Solenoid was unplugged. Code 458-3, 3700-3 and 350-3 These where all because the wiring harness that goes up the right loader arm was damaged badly. I repaired it by putting new wires in it all the way from plug to plug. I should have just replaced the harness but I thought I would save some money. The wiring harness from the arm to the quick tach was bad to so I replaced it also. Code 3516-11 I did not have this code at first. I think it is the DEF header that is bad. The DEF fluid test ok and the wiring checks ok. Just have to get the header. Code 3701-16, 3701-15, E1239-3, and E1239-2 These are all codes because it needs to regen. I have not been able to force it to regen yet but I hope that is just because the DEF header is bad and once that is replaced it will regen.

  5. #5Mr. Wrench2026-01-06 06:30

    One thing I have learned with this job so for is, whenever you have electrical problems it is good to spend some time just looking over the wiring harness. On this one I could have fixed about half of the problems without even using the DMM or hooking up a computer.

  6. #6Mr. Wrench2026-01-06 16:28

    I replaced the DEF header today and that seemed to take care of the code 3516-11. I still need to code the injector and force a regen. I am still having trouble doing that with my Diesel Laptop. Have reached out to them about why it will not do those two things. The following CAN buss codes are coming up some times and I have never seen them before: 523548-2 523591-2 523592-2 523620-2 Not sure what to think about these. They would clear out but would come back after a little bit. It seemed like I would notice them after I tried to force the regen but maybe not always. Could this be keeping me from forcing the regen?

  7. #7Nige2026-01-06 18:33

    Last question first. Maybe, I'm not an expert on TIER 4 engines so can't confirm or deny. However if the various ECMs cannot communicate appropriately with one another then it stands to reason that a regen might fail. However they all relate to the Datalink. See attached.

  8. #8Mr. Wrench2026-01-06 21:05

    Thank you, I'll go through those and see what I find.

  9. #9Mr. Wrench2026-02-28 20:50

    I just want to give an update on how this one turned out. I was not able to code the injector so I had a friend that has ET come out and do it for me. None of the CAN Buss data codes ever came back. Hopefully that will be ok. In the process of trying to get it to regen. it went into the highest derate level showing code 3701-1 DPF Statis High - Most Severe. From what I found the only way to get it out of that is to have the DPF cleaned. I cleaned the DPF, reset the soot load, and reset the DPF regen. counter. The status said that a regen was not needed. It now has no active or stored events or diagnostics. Removing the DPF to get cleaned is a BIG job. Thanks for the help guys!