Hey all, out here in the hurricane trying to get my CTL back in action. Here are some specifics. 2020 CAT 299D3 XE Started getting codes about an hour and a half into a job today. Machine still starts and runs but every time the code yells at me, it puts it into park. Nothing on the job that was irregular that I could point to as what might have messed with the voltage sensors. Codes I'm Getting: 41-4 458-3 2476-3 2477-3 2474-3 2475-3 3700-3 I'm a complete noob to all this. I think all these codes stem from maybe a single failure on that 8v circuit (I'm prepared to be wrong). My question is, where does it start? I've seen the schematic but I'm trying to figure out where to physically start poking my multimeter. Hopefully this doesn't sound completely dumb (it very well might). Please and thank you in advance
Everything in the list after 41-4 is a result of it. Do the troubleshooting procedure for 41-4 and if you fix that the chances are that all the others will go away. Post a Serial Number just to make sure the procedure is the right one.
CAT0299DPBX901558
Quite probably it's "water in the works" somewhere. See attached.
I actually got this PDF from another thread you posted in. I'm just not sure where its located. Where do I find this? Is it one of the modules under the cab? Also, thank you again
I'll send you the electrical schematic. On it are illustrations showing the location of all the electrical & electronic components.
Ok for clarity, and I’m posting here in case it’s helpful to someone else, is this the 8v Sensor Supply? Asked another way, are all the attached images the same thing (I may have circled the J2 instead of J1)?
Best way to identify is to compare wire numbers/colours and look closely at the J1/J2 (as appropriate) connectors because the Pin Numbers are moulded into the connector. I grant you the numbers are not very big but they are readable if you know where to look.
Like the ones here? 81-86? Edit:in case anyone reads this and is as dumb as me, the color is denoted by the two letter designator in the title ire number (YL is yellow)
Yessir.
Got it fixed thanks, in large part, to @Nige . Ended up being the inclinometer/self level circuit. Disconnected and got the job done!
The inclinometer circuit seems to be a problematic area on those machines. If you want to dig deeper into the 3700-3 here's the procedure.
Please and thank you!
The inclinometer can be turned off with dealer level ET. You will not have codes after this or bucket self-leveling function. Grounding in the inclinometer circuit can cause issues with speed sensor codes and can be very difficult to diagnose when this happens.
I agree, but if the +8v or ground wire to the inclinometer sensor rubs through it would still create a Diagnostic Code for the 8v supply despite the fact that the sensor had been deactivated.
Nige you may well be correct. On the machines I deactivated the inclinometer on, there were no further issues after a couple thousand hrs. I checked and the wiring was still there with the ends secured. May have just been luck that i had no further issues. In my opinion cats decisions to use an inclinometer in the way that they did on these machines was about as bright as the decision to use an electric actuator for the wedges on the bobtach coupler. The warranty claims on these issues were just stupid. I found no benefit from these features and a lot off cost and needless downtime. The use of this inclinometer may have been necessary for gps grading applications. I have no experience with this types of work.
Deactivating the inclinometer using ET only tells the machine ECM to ignore the output signal from the inclinometer sensor, it does not de-power the sensor. The 8v power supply is still there right up to the sensor as is the ground from the sensor right back to the ECM. Both of those wires (769 YL & 770 WH) are common to all the 8v sensors on the machine. Among those 8v sensors are the track motor speed sensors, the engine speed sensor, and the thumbwheel roller. So if a wire rubbed through the insulation somewhere on the inclinometer wiring power/ground as a minimum it would generate CID 0041 Diagnostic Codes for the 8v supply and probably a mess of other Codes as well.
Nige you are correct, and this is shown in my wiring diagrams. I may consider depinning these wires from the main harness to avoid additional problems.