Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 299D3 XE Voltage/Sensor Issue, Code 41-4, 458-3

ColieWhite ยท 2026-03-02 11:36

I have a CAT 299D3 XE (BX904472) throwing two codes. Codes are 41-4 (8 Volt DC Supply Voltage Below Normal) and 458-3 (Tilt Cylinder Rod End Pressure Sensor Voltage Above Normal). Any help with how to get this fixed? Any experience with these codes? Looks like I'm dealing with a bad sensor. ***Update*** I replaced the Lift Cylinder Pressure Sensor and Code 458-3 went away. I'm still seeing Code 41-4.

Replies9
  1. #1Nige2026-03-02 14:07

    41-4 is the 8v sensor power supply shorted to ground somewhere. See the attached troucleshooting procedure. The 8v supply feeds the following switches/sensors. You could try unplugging them one by one to see if the diagnostic Code disappears. If it does then the last sensor you unplugged is the one that's bringing down the 8v supply network. Of course a wiring issue is also a possibility. 1. Drive motor speed sensor x 2 2. Tilt position sensor. 3. Tilt cylinder pressure sensors. 4. Engine speed sensor. 5. inclinometer. 6. RH joystick AUX thumbwheel roller (if so equipped) 7. LH & RH joystick power for F/R & L/R position sensors.

  2. #2ColieWhite2026-03-02 16:39

    This ended up being a much easier fix once I got my eyes on the machine. That's what I get for trying to figure out things remotely. Turns out, the self level wire harness was disconnected (wires damaged). Thanks for help.

  3. #3Mr. Wrench2026-03-02 18:59

    I think it is fairly common to have problems with that harness.

  4. #4codyminahan2026-06-18 12:51

    I have the 458-3 code. Can you tell me where that sensor is located please.

  5. #5Nige2026-06-18 13:00

    Post a machine Serial Number and you're welcome to an illustration showing the sensor location.

  6. #6codyminahan2026-06-18 15:04
  7. #7codyminahan2026-06-18 15:05

    I'm also getting a 350-3 for the lift linkage position. We just replaced the linkage for the lift cylinder as it was missing. And the code is still showing.

  8. #8Nige2026-06-18 15:24

    The tilt pressure sensor is #90 in the illustration below. Here's the troubleshooting procedure for 350-3. I reckon you will also need an electrical schematic. Check your message inbox.

  9. #9Mr. Wrench2026-06-18 20:48

    Your problem is most likely in the harness that goes up the right side of the boom. I start by checking that harness really well. From where it plugs in on the firewall up to where it goes into the boom. Very common for it to get damaged. The 8V sensor supply goes to several of those sensors and if it or the ground is broken it can set those codes. When you fix the problem the codes will no longer be active but they will be stored. You will need to use a diagnostic tool if you what to clear the stored codes.