Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 301.5 mini no start

thomas a ยท 2012-02-22 20:01

serial number 3yw000850. no start not getting fuel. I was thinking feul pump. Is the pump electric or manuel. A 10 amp fuse will blow when you hit the key. There is a wire that goes to a round cylinder off the left end of the injectors when standing looking at the engine. when I un hook that wire and turn te key the fuse does not blow. Is this a saftey soilenoid that can be replaced or is there a bypass? How is it removed and do you have a part number. Any other info would be nice. thanks

Replies9
  1. #1cjplanthire2012-02-23 10:30

    have you tried a bigger fuse, 15 or 20 amp, and check that wire for a stripped side or a loose conector , it sounds like its touching something its not ment to when its blowing the fuse

  2. #2Phill2012-02-23 11:23

    if its blowing a fuse i would not put a larger one in, as it could damage parts of the system, i would start chasing wires, there is probally a chaffed wire or something grounding out.

  3. #3thomas a2012-02-23 19:23

    its a 10 amp tried a 15 and it blew also. Unhooked it from the conection at the fuel manifold and it does not blow. So its not a chaff. Thanks for the ideas.

  4. #4abdul k2012-02-24 01:37

    Check the fuel shutoff solenoid operating correctly. Remove and check for operation. Check the current draw for the solenoid or the current draw in the wiring system, very important. High current draw will certainly blow the fuse. When did this problem start? , after service/repair/overnight/while working etc. Let us know, I am sure you will get other simple troubleshooting ideas first to do before you go deeper into the system.

  5. #5thomas a2012-02-24 10:00

    If that is the cylinder that is is mounted to the fuel pump I think that might be the problem as if I pull off the wire to it and turn the key the fuse no longer blows. What is the removel procedure and test procedure and with what tools. if i tap a wire to it direct it does not click or anything. thanks.

  6. #6Ga_Boy2012-02-25 18:42

    I have a 302.5 cat that overheated and burned that solenoid up. I unscrewed it and stuck a screw driver in the hole and it started right up. When I check that solenoid with 12v, it got extremely hot.

  7. #7thomas a2012-02-27 20:12

    so it just unscrews?

  8. #8Ga_Boy2012-02-28 18:52

    Here is a parts diagram Here is a diagram and a link to the parts list to go with the diagram. Hope this helps. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29778995/301.5%20301.6%20301.8%20Mini%20Hydraulic%20Excavator%203YW00001-UP%20%28MACHINE%29%20POWERED%20BY%20.pdf

  9. #9don dummett2018-05-20 20:58

    HI i have a cat 301.5 mini excavator about 2000 model won,t start when hot please help cheers don