Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 301.5 rotating issue

bwbigred · 2020-04-20 20:27

I just picked up a tiny cat 301.5 I used it one day and went to service it . I greased everything after the service and now when I rotate it in different directions it makes a popping noise or like something is hitting any ideas ?

Replies16
  1. #1Tyler d4c2020-04-20 21:05

    Does it seem to jerk at all when it pops

  2. #2bwbigred2020-04-20 21:21

    Yea kinda of it’s like a clunk/popping

  3. #3Tyler d4c2020-04-20 21:27

    I'm kinda wondering if the swing bearing isnt bad does ot seem as if the machine was well cared for before you owned it

  4. #4bwbigred2020-04-20 21:30

    It’s got 3k hours and not the best life lol

  5. #5Nige2020-04-20 21:35

    Did you grease the swing bearing..? Do you have a manual showing what the service points are on it, or is there a sticker on the machine.? Post a Serial Number so that detailed info can be located for it.

  6. #6heymccall2020-04-20 22:21

    Is there a swing lock pin like on some mini excavators? IIRC, my old TB035 had a lever to mechanically raise a transport lock pin on the swing.

  7. #7bwbigred2020-04-21 05:22

    I have to purchase an owners manual I honestly have no idea

  8. #8bwbigred2020-04-21 05:40

    3yw01289 is serial number off it

  9. #9bwbigred2020-04-21 13:36

    Well it looks like the swing motor took a crap when I was diagnosing it today I lost power to the swing and could feel it vibrating and it kicked it and now I don’t have any swing at all now. Any places that rebuild these besides getting a new one at over 3k

  10. #10Nige2020-04-21 13:46

    Might be an idea to get into the bottom end of the "motor". There is a planetary transmission directly below the motor, if that has taken a dump it might be preferable to a piston motor crapping itself. See the illustration below. The ring of Allen-head bolts (circled) should get you into the planetary transmission in the rectangle. No idea where you might get one rebuilt or exchanged, sorry.

  11. #11bwbigred2020-04-22 16:51

    Do you know if I can buy the shaft for these motor separately?

  12. #12heymccall2020-04-22 17:09

    I think you buy almost any piece in there.

  13. #13heymccall2020-04-22 17:12
  14. #14heymccall2020-04-22 17:15

    That shaft shows in stock in Morton. I found this too. Maybe you could google each number (original and replacement) and find a whole unit, new or refurbished.

  15. #15bwbigred2020-04-22 17:35

    I will check into it thanks. Now all I need to do is find a reasonably priced slew ring for it cause that’s all chewed up.

  16. #16Craig Klausen2020-04-23 11:58

    We have some new mini-excavator swing motors that might work for you. You should speak with one of our Parts Specialists and see if we can get your replacement swing motor for less than you found. They can be reached at (800) 333-0650, or visit our website at https://www.hrparts.com . If we can't help with the part, we will try to point you in the right direction. Good luck. Craig H&R Construction Equipment Parts