Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 302.5 excavator loud exhaust

imthemistermaster ยท 2019-10-07 16:08

I have a cat 302.5 excavator with a loud exhaust. I replaced the muffler and downpipe a couple of months ago. The machine isn't much louder than it used to be at full throttle, but at idle it makes a banging noise kind of. Has anyone else experienced this and or knows what might be wrong?

Replies7
  1. #1DEMLONE702019-10-07 16:10

    Serial number ?

  2. #2imthemistermaster2019-10-08 10:04

    46ZW06093

  3. #3Nige2019-10-08 15:20

    That's the engine Serial Number, actually it's 4ZW06093. The machine should be 4AZ-something

  4. #4imthemistermaster2019-10-08 16:37

    Yeah your right, I was going off memory for that number. The serial number is actually 4AZ04094

  5. #5Nige2019-10-09 04:50

    Does the exhaust look like this and was it a genuine Cat muffler you installed.? Is there any chance that a baffle or similar is loose inside the new muffler that you only hear at idle.?

  6. #6Delmer2019-10-09 10:19

    Did the banging start immediately with the new muffler? If not, how many hours on the machine?

  7. #7imthemistermaster2019-10-09 14:53

    Yes that is the same as the exhaust on it, and I personally picked the parts up from the Milton Cat dealership. It could be a baffle, but the machine was making a similar but louder sound when the old exhaust was going bad. The sound started immediately with the new muffler.