Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 302.5 problem

Sjviva ยท 2013-06-10 19:34

I have a 2003 cat 302.5 ran fine 6 months ago. Went out to start it and it will only idle, no throttle response. I let it sit and idle for over a hour, thinking maybe if it ran for a while it might start operating properly, with no luck. I have plenty of fuel to the injector pump. Please help. Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1mikebramel2013-06-10 22:31

    So the lever on the injection pump is moving or the throttle cable is broken?

  2. #2Sjviva2013-06-11 07:12

    The lever is moving, the throttle cable is not broke. But when you do move it nothing happens, no change in idle.

  3. #3YankeeFarmer2013-06-15 08:49

    Does it have auto-idle?

  4. #4NCPIPELINE2013-06-25 10:49

    Can you increase RPMS by hand at engine?

  5. #5Lil' Puss2013-06-26 12:37

    Sounds to me like the rack is stuck in the injection pump which is usually caused by corrosion. There is no direct mechanical link between the rack and the throttle lever. I would test your fuel for diesel bugs, and check the strainer for sludge. Hope that's not the case because it can get expensive.