Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need some help with an estimate – I normally do hourly, but this is way bigger.

Jbullfrog ยท 2013-06-10 23:42

Looking at a plan for spread footings 24" deep by 36" or 42" wide. There is about 650' of 36" and 130' of 42". I normally do terrace repair and digging for pipe repair, so I haven't charged by the foot before. Is there a calculator available? I will also need to figure for sheepsfooting or vibrating the trench. This will in western Iowa if it makes a difference (no rock, mostly clay. I have a Case CX50B 5 ton excavator with a 36" bucket and might price a 42" for this also. Thanks, Jerod J. Johnson J. Johnson Services (402)980-2694 924 250th St Avoca, IA 51521

Replies3
  1. #1CM19952013-06-11 07:16

    Calculate your volume: LxWxH = vol. Be mindful of your units - inches, feet, yards etc. Keep your calculations all the same units - convert those inches to feet. Once you calculate your cubic feet, divide by 27 to get CY. Once you calculate your volume, use your daily production rate and get the estimated time it will take to do the job. Take into account the site, access, etc as this will add time to the job. Do you have to remove the spoils - haul off or waste on site? Or just dig the footing and pile the spoil beside the trench? As far as compaction goes your going to be limited to a plate, wacky packy or hoe pack attachment.

  2. #2tuney4432013-06-11 12:19

    The excavation should take you no more than 1 day so whatever your daily rate is plus if you have a laborer checking grade,his cost added on.The compaction pricing to be accordingly,you didn't mention any specs,1 side or both,etc,etc.

  3. #3buckfever2013-06-11 20:18

    I do a lot of footers. Most are just standard 24" by 10" but I've also done a few odd ball footers up to 48" wide. With a 5 ton ex. unless your digging a very shallow trench you will need something there to help get rid of the spoil. Also as long as you have someone there to help you check grade and run the tamper plan on at least two days to do the whole job.