Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 303cr fuel pump replacement

andrewfrankl · 2024-02-26 22:28

I have a 2005 303 that I'm pretty sure is in need of a new electric fuel pump. It was bogging on me and I noticed that the fuel pump was not priming when I had the key on and engine off. I checked voltage and it was getting 12 volts so I can only imagine its the pump thats gone bad. Cats part number is 211-0804 but I am seeing tons of aftermarket pumps saying they are a replacement for 240-8381. 240-8381 says it is good for a 302.5 with a S3L2 so I feel like it should work in my application as well. I am wondering if anyone has done this in the past, or has the specs on the 240-8381 so I can compare it to the specs on the 211-0804. I can always just get the cat one, but it is about $200 more so I am avoiding that if possible. Thanks!

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2024-02-26 22:42

    All I can tell you is 211-0804 and 240-8381 are different mountings and different fittings. The later number is on C-Series min-ex machines. No specs anywhere to be found - sorry. 211-0804 does not service to 240-8381. It may be possible to make it fit on your machine but I can't find anything to confirm that.

  2. #2andrewfrankl2024-02-26 23:15

    Ok, thanks for the insight. I just wish i could find some specs on the 240-8381 because I know I could get it to fit, but I would hate to try and save a buck and end up damaging engine parts.

  3. #3heymccall2024-02-26 23:27

    I've had nothing but issues with the inlet elbow of the water separator becoming debris plugged. The left side elbow of the circled separator.

  4. #4andrewfrankl2024-02-26 23:29

    Ok, i’ll check on that. Thanks

  5. #5heymccall2024-02-26 23:53
  6. #6andrewfrankl2024-02-27 00:05

    Ya, I saw that. Just cant find specs on the other ones

  7. #7heymccall2024-02-27 00:29

    Your 240 number supercedes to this

  8. #8Nige2024-02-27 09:56

    The 240-8381 must have also given trouble. There's a Service Mag for C-Series mini-ex giving a replacement of the pump and water separator as indivdual units and replacing them with a combined unit 312-1699 which contains a hand-operated priming pump - shown below.