Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 303CR Grease intervals

CascadeScaper ยท 2005-05-28 14:03

Hey everyone. I've been reading the maintenance section of the manual for our 303 and I found some interesting stuff. It says every 10 hours for the first 100 hours that the boom, stick, bucket, blade, and quick coupler need to be greased, respectively. It then goes on to say that every 50 hours after that the bucket linkage and quck coupler need to be greased. Now here's the kicker, it says that after 100 hours, the stick and boom linkage can go 500 hours without being greased :eek2 It says that if the machine is in severe conditions, the stick and boom linkage doesn't need to be greased for 100 hours or 2 weeks. I really don't know how to take this, I was always taught every 8-10 hours, but at that rate I could be overgreasing by a long ways and that just makes a huge mess of a machine really quick. Anybody have any ideas on this? Should I just grease lightly, maybe 1-2 pumps every 10-15 hours or so? Thanks for the help guys!

Replies3
  1. #1cat3202005-05-28 20:52

    That just sound goofy to me I would just grease regulary weather you pump a little more or do it longer and pump alot I would say as long as you have grease on your joints you'll be alright.

  2. #2Cat4202005-05-28 21:38

    As you grease it, you will get a feel for what it needs. Obviously if you are constantly squirting grease out of certain fittings every time, you will know that you can grease them less. If it takes a lot of grease then you know to do it more. Some fittings are more protected and use up less grease, but I like to check them all every time.

  3. #3CascadeScaper2005-05-29 05:06

    The common sense rule, that makes sense. I've noticed this with our skid steer, most all fittings only take about 2-3 pumps every 8 hours, I figure if I pump 4-5 times and see grease coming out that's too much, makes a mess.