Hi new to this forum. Thanks in advance for any help offered. I am in BC Canada. I have a 2015 Cat 303E (serial# SMG01342) that will not start with the key switch. There is a lock symbol on the console (see picture) and a red light that is on when the key is on. I don't know what it means. I went to the Cat dealer and they did not know either. I believe it may be to indicate the hydraulic lock is activated, however it does not go out when the lever is moved up or down. If I put power to the small starter replay under the seat (center pin on top goes to starter) the machine fires up and then seems to operate normally, however the red light on dash console stays illuminated. Thanks again for any help. Bruski
Your machine has an attachment (option) for machine security. The combined icon of the machine and the padlock symbol is the clue. To deactivate the security will require a password to be entered into the keypad. See the attached.
Welcome to the Forums! Glad to have you. First of all you're in good hands with Nige. Second get some grease in those fittings.
Thank you for responding Nige. The only issue is that this machine does not have a keypad. It ran fine when I pulled it off the trailer but that was a couple of months ago. Has been sitting since. Yes CM1995 its does need grease, I only recently purchased this machine and have not serviced it yet as I cannot move it into my shop
The battery voltage might have gone down below the threshold. That would in all probability trigger the security system. It's akin to someone disconnecting the battery in an attempt to get the machine electronics to reset. In that case you need to get someone from your dealer to figure out how to deactivate it. They may have to talk to Cat because the Operation & Maintenance Manual does not appear to cover it in any great detail. This may be one of the systems that uses a special ignition key that activates a receiver embedded in the ignition key switch. Is the key that was supplied with the machine when you bought it black or yellow.? See UENR7061 attached. The MSS key is Yellow in colour. There should be a decal relating to the machine security system on the left side of the cab just behind and below the door.
Nige you are a genius. I got the yellow key from the drawer and like magic everything worked as it should. I really appreciate the info. Dealer could not figure it out. Thanks, again Bruski
One thing I am not sure of is whether the transmitter in the yellow key is uniquely programmed to the receiver in the ignition lock or not. I suspect that it is. Do not lose that key..!
I will guard it. Thanks again.