I have been doing a little work trying to get running an early 2000's Cat 304 mini ex that has been sitting for about two years. I can grab the serial # tomorrow if that would be helpful. For reference, I live in a cold climate (northern Minnesota). I charged the battery up for at least 24 hours, and when I went to start the machine, the starter engages, but it just cranks weakly and after trying several times it behaves as if the battery has been drained and doesn't have enough juice to turn the starter anymore. I also tried to jumpstart the machine, and it behaved in a similar way, the starter would weakly turn then kind of peter out and not turn at all. Do I just need to charge the battery for longer perhaps? It has been sitting through two Minnesota winters without being started. Or should I be looking at the starter itself or the starter solenoid? What about jump starting directly to the starter itself? Thank you all for any advice.
I have a hard time getting spun up on a cold morning, too. Comes with age. Welcome to the HEF, fellow Caterpillar excavator enthusiast. Good to have you. The starter motor was probably used too much when it was new. That’s the problem.
Thanks Coaldust!