my right hand track adjuster comes up hard before the track is in adjustment.. the left hand side will adjust no problem and is extending farther than the right hand side.. I had this issue when I put new tracks on about 1000 hrs ago as well, but with the tracks being new when it did come up hard, the clearance was pretty much what the book called for.. now the tracks are stretched clearance is about double what it should be.. I put the grease gun on it, pumped, track started to adjust, and then just came up hard.. couldn't get it to budge anymore.. just eyeballing the position of the front roller I would say my left hand is extended about 1/2 inch more than the right so I can't see it being a no more travel available issue.. anybody else ever have this issue? Bernie
Sounds like debris in the idler yoke area. Or something broken. Is the idler bearing and shaft still "normal"? Compare the idler hub vs yoke where the cross shaft is fixed.
well I guess I answered my own question.. I got a little more scientific and determined both adjusters were extended the same.. I tried to tighten the left track some more and just see how far it would extend.. It was at max travel as well.. it seems as though these adjusters only have about 1/2 inch of travel from retracted to full extension.. so here I have both left and right adjusters at max extension with a left track that is right on with 1/2 inch of droop as per the manual and the right hand has about 1 inch of droop, or twice the normal amount.. my upper track roller is good so I guess at the end of the day I have a right hand track that is stretched a bit more than the left, and have no way to tension it any more.. oh well.. Bernie
Well, you're doing something wrong. They've got a lot more range than that.
I'm with heymccall. Total adjustment range should be far more than 1/2". However you may be correct in your assertion that the adjusters are fully extended. Have you looked into the possibility that the adjusters are not coming all the way back when you open the valve..? Remember there is no "return spring" inside the adjuster to pull it back completely when you open the grease valve. Most track adjusters will come back somewhat when you release the grease pressure but in order to fully retract them needs something like a towbar pin installed in the sprocket teeth and then gently ease the track back. That will retract the adjuster fully.
Could you be running the wrong track length, combined with you not fully retracting the jack when evaluating?
I would have expected to see an inch or two of travel.. I left the grease bleeder open for just over 24 hours.. the machine was blocked up so the track was well off the ground.. after having about an inch of track droop with the adjuster pumped up as hard as i could get it, I wound up with about 5 inches of track droop after leaving the bleeder open.. I didn't try and pull the idler back any farther... the difference between 1 inch and 5 inches of droop on the track was 1/2 inch of travel of the idler roller.. I had a good location to take this measurement so I'm sure it's accurate.. I replaced the OEM tracks at about 1400 hrs.. I bought a pair of camso tracks.. they were pricy but have held up well.. I have a lot of sharp fractured rock and the OEM tracks (I think they were bridgestone) suffered badly.. all the data I saw on the camso track they were correct for my machine.. Finning is going to have they're undercarriage guy swing by next week and have a look at it.. will be interesting.. Bernie
Have you checked that your idler bearing is OK?