Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 304e2 oil analysis

JamesH ยท 2018-03-28 18:47

I just performed the second oil analysis at 331 hours on a 2016 CAT 304e2 and it came back with: FUEL TEST INDICATES 10%. CHECK INJECTORS AND TRANSFER PUMP FOR LEAKS. RESAMPLE AFTER REPAIRS TO CHECK FOR CARRY-OVER. The local dealer said "Take another oil sample after 25-50 hours has been put on the new oil. Then see if it goes back to green, and let us know." Not the response I was looking for considering the machine is under warranty until next year. I plan on talking to the service manager tomorrow. I'm somewhat disappointed with their response and fully expect them to eventually fix the issue. Has anyone else ran into this before?

Replies6
  1. #1heymccall2018-03-28 19:27

    ? All you can do right now is establish a trend. Engines still have break-in periods. Until full ring seating, fuel dilution of the oil is plausible. What about the rest of the wear metals in the sample report? Was there fuel dilution in the first sample you took? How many hours on the first sample?

  2. #2Junkyard2018-03-28 19:54

    I agree with first comment. Samples establish trends. I would follow the advice of the dealer and resample. It will not hurt a thing to run it that many hours with fresh oil to resample. Honestly at that dilution on a new machine I'm not sure they could nail down a definitive source yet anyway. Dealer is following standard operating procedure. If there was a very high concentration of metal then I would expect them to dig into it. As mentioned above depending on how you've used it the engine may not have been completely broken in yet. Lots of factors could affect sample at this stage and some may not be indicative of a problem at all. Keep us posted.

  3. #3JamesH2018-03-28 21:54

    Thanks for the feedback. I've attached an image of the results. If it doesn't take try this link: https://imgur.com/4R74wii Maybe I'm expecting too much from the motor? I've kept the machine clean and filters changed quite often.

  4. #4heymccall2018-03-28 22:36

    The link is super fuzzy. And the attachment isn't there in the above post.

  5. #5Cmark2018-03-29 17:58

    The report indicates that this may be its first oil change. Is this right? If so then (A)331 hrs is too long to run for a first oil change and (B), the 10 percent fuel dilution isn't normal, but then again it isn't necessarily cause to get too excited just yet. Your dealer's advice to resample after 50 hrs is good.

  6. #6JamesH2018-03-29 22:31

    First oil change is correct. I asked the dealer about changing it at the end of the first year of ownership and he said don't worry about it until 500 hours or next season (since the first oil analysis was OK). The link does look fuzzy on mobile devices...I've tried a few different computers and the link to the photo looks clear. I appreciate the feedback. I'll update the thread this spring.