Hi, I have a cat 305 2012, about an hour into use the whole machine shakes badly even on low revs, it then cuts out and I have to leave it a while before it will re start. Temperature looks ok, no warnings come up, anyone ever experienced this problem please
That doesn’t help much. Can you post a Serial Number please. Have you carried out any recent maintenance work on it.? Do you have a basic Operation & Maintenance Manual.?
Hi Nige, I will get the numbers and post up, no I do not have any manuals yet, I’ll order them. I bought this and all seemed good, not much play anywhere, all seems tight and well looked after. I have only had it a month, I had a local engineer look at it, he mainly does Doosans, he said the hydraulic pump has been replaced, the fuel pump and filters. He seems to think that once the oil is hot it is throwing the crank out of balance, obviously going to be very expensive and the seller is refusing to answer emails or calls.
That's a wild call. Did he check fuel pressure before coming to that conclusion? With a s/n we can give you specs.
I would call it “wild guess of science fiction sort” . Does that thing have phasers on the camshaft, to do that?! I don’t think so. It seems like that Doosan guy used to be a car mechanic.
Does the sound out of the exhaust pipe change to irregular, when it starts shaking? Sounds like it starts misfiring when it gets hot.
"Seems to think" - That sounds like worst kind of Parts Cannon in the world to me............ Speaking personally I'd want a lot more hard evidence before I started shelling out coin on what appears to be no more than a hunch. Before you start on that, post a Serial Number. We can direct you to the correct manuals for the specific S/N. Do I have your location correct as Worcestershire UK.?
Does that thing has harmonic balancer on it? Or it is too small for that?
It might have, but without a S/N I'm not going to waste time checking. There are over 50 different models of 305 listed.
Yep.
The serial number is below. 3025CAGBBO4460 2012
The serial number is below. 3025CAGBBO4460
So what you have is actually a 302.5C, not a 305.2...........!! Without the Serial Number we could have been sent off in totally the wrong direction. A basic Operation & Maitneance Manual can be downloaded for $52. Click this LINK put SEBU7940 in the box and click search.
We haven't had an answer to this yet. Also a question along the same lines. What happens to the colour and/or quantity of the smoke out of the exahust when the engine starts misbehaving.?
My suggestions based on the limited information we have to go on right now. 1. Clean the fuel tank cap and filter. 2. Drain water and sediment from the fuel tank. 3. Disconnect the fuel lines at the tank and at the fuel filter. Blow the lines through with compressed air. 4. Drain any wat/sediment from the fuel filter. Report anything significant that you may find while doing the above. See the attachment which has all the instructions for the above.
My first thought is fuel tank vent plugged and drawing a vacuum or something floating in he tank plugging the suction line.
The exhaust fumes are the same colour although it does reduce due to it starting to stall
Yes it does sound irregular, thank you all for helping me with this problem, hopefully I’ll get time to look at it tomorrow
Just an update, the digger wax on a slight slope yesterday when I tried to start it after it packed up a few days ago. For the first time ever it started shaking immediately and cut out, I managed to keep it running long enough to level it up and it then ran smoothly for an hour. Could this be oil levels or fuel, when it shakes it’s almost like it’s wants to seize up
See my post #15 above. Have you done any of that maintenance work yet.? My bet is on water that is "pooling" somewhere (either the fuel tank or fuel filter) and the machine was parked in just the right place to suck it up, hence the rough running. The ball is now firmly in your court.............
I have not yet, in the middle of a house build. That’s my first job tomorrow, drain the tank and clean everything out, thank you
There is a drain plug right in the centre of the bottom of the tank. Don't forget to give the tank cap breather a good washing in paraffin or diesel while you're at it. Water separator can be drained as attached.
Finally found time to do the recommended work on the cat, I drained the tank but it was only fuel, no water at all. I’ve flushed the tank out and dried it. Changed the fuel filter and refilled the tank. I still have the same problem, I have bought a digital thermometer to take some readings to see if it could be overheating, I know it’s a desperate measure but I’m not sure what else to do
Sounds like you have some type of restriction. I would play around with it, lifting the tracks at different angles and try and nail down what is causing the problems. It almost sounds that with heat or gravity, something is shifting causing fuel starvation or something out of balance, mounts perhaps.
I have the same machine, 3200 hours. Also the same experience. The fuel lift pump was failing. It would run, but not move any fuel. Changed it out for a generic 12 volt fuel pump I had available and the machine runs like new. This was yesterday. a $20.00 fix. Very accessible, 20 minute job.