Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 305 squeak when swinging.

weareweird69 · 2024-11-11 17:59

Cat 305E2. 5050 hours. 2015 model. This is the most I’ve used it since purchasing it a few weeks ago. It’s developed a “squeak” when you swing. More noticeable when under more pressure, such as swinging quickly. Doesn’t get worse with pressure against the swing. Does it quieter when slower, but it doesn’t do it all the time. Generally when you hear it, stop, then return swing, it’ll squeak in the same spot. But not always. I’ve never heard it before today, but I ran it for probably 4 or 5 hours before I noticed it. It almost sounds like a hydraulic pressure relief when it does it. No leaks, no change in performance. Hoping it’s not something down in the swivel. It’s directly related to the swinging. Any thoughts?

Replies18
  1. #1Nige2024-11-11 18:04

    Have you greased the swing bearing lately.?

  2. #2weareweird692024-11-11 18:11

    Yes. As soon as I got it. And also tried to grease it again, it’s got grease starting to show around the seal currently.

  3. #3Nige2024-11-11 18:12

    Not sure if there is a grease catch for the swing pinion. If there is, have you checked that.?

  4. #4weareweird692024-11-11 18:13

    I am not sure where to look for that honestly.

  5. #5weareweird692024-11-11 18:29

    I’ll probably be using it again Wednesday or Friday. So I’ll see if it continues. Could it be something in the swivel?

  6. #6Nige2024-11-11 18:34

    If you don’t have an operation & maintenance manual yet now would be a good time to get one….

  7. #7weareweird692024-11-11 18:49

    I have one. I’ll peer at it tomorrow. I don’t ever recall seeing oil for the swing motor on a mini.

  8. #8weareweird692024-11-11 19:34

    I couldn’t help myself. Went and looked at the manual. Nothing for oil. But it wants the gear greased at 90° increments. Bearing has a grease fitting. Gear has a fitting. Gonna grease the crap out of both tomorrow.

  9. #9DEMLONE702024-11-12 10:55

    Serial number ?

  10. #10Nige2024-11-12 11:01

    From his first thread - H5M01334.

  11. #11weareweird692024-11-12 11:01

    Thanks Nige. Just came in to post it. H5M01334

  12. #1292U 34062024-11-12 14:15

    No, Nige is referring to the swing pinion gear itself where it meshes with the swing bearing teeth. There is usually grease in there to lubricate the gear teeth.

  13. #13Nige2024-11-12 14:31

    It's a bit different on a mini-ex. Instead of having a grease bath with 1/2" or so depth of grease in the bottom the grease is applied through a fitting (#2) to lubricate the interface between the swing pinion and the swing rack.

  14. #14weareweird692024-11-12 14:42

    That’s the plan. Grease the crap out of it. I’m used to the larger excavators with the bath and numerous fittings for the bearing on the house. I’m just hoping it’s a lubrication issue and not a “problem”.

  15. #15weareweird692024-11-12 21:12

    It didn’t make a peep when I took it out and just tried it. But, I put about 3/4 of a tube in it. So we will see on Friday when I go back to digging.

  16. #16KSSS2024-11-13 08:51

    You might want to check the turn table for wear. If you put the machine on flat ground and put the bucket on the ground about 10' out, put pressure down on the bucket to elevate the front of the tracks. See if there is slop at the turn table as you start to raise the front of the tracks. Obviously it should all come up together, it there is wear at the turn table you will see it.

  17. #17weareweird692024-11-13 21:22

    This is something I always check. It’s got a little wear, but nothing unexpected for the hours on it.

  18. #18weareweird692024-11-17 20:44

    Update: Grease seemed to remedy the issue. I ran it for 4-5 hours today and it didn’t make a peep. Must have had some dry spots on the gear.