Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 305 whining sound from hydraulic pump?

justingiffi ยท 2010-09-01 12:13

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience or would know what to look for if I was hearing a whining noise coming from the hydraulic motor when it is under load. I just picked up the machine about 2 weeks ago and I was running it the other day and when it was under load I would hear a whining noise coming from the engine compartment and didn't really think that it should do that. The machine has about 1800hrs. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Replies5
  1. #1strott2010-09-01 16:27

    Has the machine got a variable displacement pump(s) or gear pumps? My mini has a variable displacement pump and tends to make a 'noise' when under load such as lifting the boom with a lot of weight on the dipper e.t.c but not sure if it is a whiney noise. The gear pump machines tend to be quieter 'hydraulically'

  2. #2nzpatch2010-09-02 05:47

    I had a 305cr (dgt serial #) and had a rubber drive thingy blow apart between the engin and the pump. did smell rubber a little befor it went then no drive ,well oil i gess.

  3. #3justingiffi2010-09-02 10:04

    I believe its a gear pump... it bolts directly to the engine. I am not smelling any rubber yet but thanks for the heads up because I will keep an eye out for that. It is not extremely loud or anything but I notice it from inside the cab. I need to find someone to run it so I can open up the back compartment and listen and see exactly where it is coming from. The main pump from CAT is like $3500....sigh

  4. #4justingiffi2010-09-02 10:06

    My serial number begins with a DSA...not sure what the difference is

  5. #5pete402010-09-28 05:16

    I just pulled the pump off my 301.5 mini-ex today and stripped it down. Don't know if they are similar, but mine is a gear pump and the o-rings inside had torn. I didn't have a winding sound. I would pull that baby off ASAP if you are sure that is where the noise is coming from.