Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rubber Track Tension, Noise, and Life

YankeeFarmer ยท 2010-08-31 08:48

My Cat 303cCR has about 1520 hours and I'm pretty sure the original tracks. Shortly after purchasing it in May of this year, the left track has started making a "flapping" or "slapping" sound. The noise is not associated with any particular cut or tear in the track. It does appear to be associated with a "wobble" in the track as it comes off the drive sprocket headed toward the upper idler. The drive sprocket has worn teeth, but rotates true-it is not wobbling. The tension is looser than specs, but there is no more takeup available via the tensioner. What is the likelihood that I simply have a worn out track? Is a stretched track a typical reason for replacement? Thanks in advance for your experience. Jerry

Replies17
  1. #1Hanomag2010-09-01 15:17

    Reference your track problems. If the track adjusters are fully extended you could tack weld a spacer to the end of the track adjuster rod (say a 7/8 nut) to get maximun life out of the track. The 'slapping' sound may well be a kink in the track caused by the gradual failure of the internal wire cords inside the track. I would suggest that rubber tracks on a mini excavator would on average last 1250 hours +/_ 250hours. At 1500 hours I would be starting to smile! (The 1250hour figure is for UK rental fleet machines). My advice would be to buy a new track now, hold it stock and run the existing tracks on your machine until they break up or fall off, if you have a new track available you will not have any downtime

  2. #2justingiffi2010-09-02 10:09

    Any recommendations for sites to purchase tracks from that people have had good luck...

  3. #3xcmark2010-09-02 20:37

    soliddeal makes very good OEM quality tracks for fit just about everything . Give these guys a call see what one will cost. you can fine cheap tracks that dont last for less just make sure you know what your getting and how the warrenty works http://www.everythingattachments.com/Solideal-Excavator-Replacement-Rubber-Tracks-s/3011.htm

  4. #4QuickTrax2010-09-02 21:10

    On the majority of machines that come into our shop for new rubber, they average around 1250 hrs on mini-excavaors. Hanomag is right on the money. You have done very well getting 1520 out of yours.

  5. #5YankeeFarmer2010-09-02 21:22

    Thanks, to both you and Hanomag. Unfortunately for me, I bought the machine with 1490 hours on it, so I wasn't the one that did well. But i anticipated that I would likely need to replace the tracks at some point. The question I was trying to ask is: What is the most common symptom forcing the replacement at the time the tracks were replaced. Was it stretched tracks that wouldn't stay on, no traction nubs left, broken tracks, etc.

  6. #6powerjoke2010-09-02 22:00

    i run them till they brake, if your going to replace tracks at 1200hrs just for the hell of it i can always take them off your hands lol. pj.

  7. #7Hanomag2010-09-03 09:55

    Rubber tracks (big or small) usually fail because the internal wire cords breaking, or, because the steel track links built into the track becoming loose and falling out (like a loose tooth!). Its unusual for a rubber track to survive for 1500 hours for it to stretch enough to fully extend the track adjuster. Whoever owned your machine used it carefully and did not have many rocks or kerbs to drive over. If you can get over the track adjuster problem you may well be surprised how long the old tracks will last. I would still have one new track to hand, they won't both fail at the same time. Regards

  8. #8badalton242010-09-16 14:33

    we sell aftermarket rubbertracks, give me a call at 813-635-2367, Thanks brent

  9. #9DGODGR2010-09-22 22:11

    The tracks on my '06 435 are still going strong after 2,500 hours. I wonder if the Cat comes with another brand of OEM tracks. I know another excavator who only got 1,100 hours on the tracks of a 305. Does anyone know if the OEM tracks on the Bobcats are superior to those on the Cats?

  10. #10QuickTrax2010-09-23 07:55

    I have been told by my Camoplast rep that they are making tracks for Cat. I believe Bridgestone makes the tracks for Bobcat. I was told that the quality on both of these were about the same. Which tracks are better??? Its kind of like comparing Cat to Komatsu. Everyone has a different opinion. Thanks, Quicktrax

  11. #11DGODGR2010-09-23 08:42

    Obviously a lot of factors go into how long any given set of tracks will last. The individual that I was refering to had both a Cat 305 and a Bobcat 435 at the same time. While I was busy running my own equipment, and not his, I am making an, what I think is a relatively safe, assumption that both machines were used in similar conditions. I do have the opinion that his machines are used "harder" than mine and that they do not recieve the same preventative maintenance as my machines. My machine is not usually driven on flat of soft ground conditions. I live and work in the Rocky Mountains which should offer a clue as to what this machine has seen. These factors, and others have led me to believe that the tracks on the Bobcat are out lasting those on the Cat (OEM vs OEM), hence the question in my last post. As it sound as though you (Quicktrax) are a dealer, can you tell us if there is a price difference between the Camoplast and the Bridgestone tracks? I wonder what a new thread (maybe a survey) would reveal.

  12. #12QuickTrax2010-09-23 09:40

    We sell a few different brands and bridgestone is not one of them. What do bridgestone tracks cost for your 435 and do you have the 435 ZHS or the 435 ZHS Fastrack.

  13. #13DGODGR2010-09-23 21:26

    I really don't know. My 435 ZHS Fastrack still has the OEM tracks @ 2,500 hours. I have not even made any inquiries as to the cost for replacement as I don't feel I am even close to replacing them.

  14. #14QuickTrax2010-09-24 07:39

    Your OEM tracks have done really well. They are probably the Bridgestone. I have always heard good things out of the Bridgestone tracks.

  15. #15Anto Modded2010-09-24 11:37

    We got 1050 odd hours out of out bridgestone tracks but we were on rough stone alot, and only owned the maching since 700 hours. We made the mistake of just ordering tracks and ended up with mintop make...........within 2 weeks they were throw away. The centers started snapping and the tracks would come off twice a day. So we got our money back and got a make called jtrack which have 300 hours on them and have no wear and seem to be a very good track

  16. #16QuickTrax2010-09-24 16:07

    I've sold a set of jtrack for a Takeuchi TL150 last year. My customer had around 700 hours on them and had a track break. I tried for warranty and they told me it ran out at six months. No pro-rate. Thats the only set I bought ever bought from them. Most tracks have a pro-rated warranty that depends on age and hours.

  17. #17Anto Modded2010-09-24 16:31

    must look into that