So I pulled what looks like a small spring from the spool valve for the stick any one have any idea where it may of came from.
Actually yes, I do have an idea but before I send you down the wrong path, what is the problem you're trying to fix and what's the serial number?
The machine is a cat 305 ccr # 305cvhwj00557 I was digging had been for a couple of hours that day pulled the bucket out of the trench to dump a scoop and the stick would not go out it just kept coming towards the machine . So I put the control lock on witch locked everything else but the stick coming towards the machine . So as soon as the engine started the stick would come towards the machine only way I could get it back out was to let oil out of the cylinder. I have owned the machine for ten years and have never had to work on any of the hydraulics just change the oil and filters.
So it looks like you have found the problem of the unexpected stick cylinder movement, insofar as you have a piece of spring jamming thespool. All good so far. There is a common-ish problem with certain resolver valves coming apart and shedding bits of spring similar to yours, but it doesn't apply to your machine, hence the importance of quoting the serial number. I think the next best candidate is one of the load check valves. To get to them means removing and disassembling the main control valve. The springs are #12 in the picture. Another thought. Does it have any aftermarket hose-burst protection valves fitted?
Im not aware of any hose burst protection valves
I think you are into removing the complete control valve and disassembling the sections to inspect the load check valves and the springs. Don't assume that because your problem was with the spring jammed in the spool that controls the stick that's where it came from, although I would definitely look there first. Whichever sections of the control valve that you pull apart you will have to replace the O-Rings #10, 11, & 14 on each section. When you find where the spring came from you might well have to replace the check valve #13 in addition to installing a new spring.
Well crap that don't sound like much fun but I believe your exactly right on where that spring came from it is a much lighter spring than the one behind that little plate on the outside of the valve . I plan to remove the main control valves from the machine but I think I will order the seals and spring before I take it apart . Do I dare to run the machine a little bit while waiting for parts I'm not saying put it to work 10 hours a day but jus for say one hour to see if anything is not right. And one more question what type of Phillips 66 hydraulic oil could I run in it ? I do a lot of work for my local 66 guy and can get oil for all most nothing from him. I appreciate all your help your to kind sir .
I don't think you are risking much to run it for short spells. What you should remember is that if the check valve where it appears that spring came from is no longer functioning because of the lack of a spring you have no load check on that function. So don't leave the bucket in the air, if you're not using the machine to dig put the bucket on the ground. Ask your local Phillips 66 guy if he has any Powerdrive 10W. That would work fine.
If the spring is from a load check valve as predicted, be prepared to have to buy the affected valve section complete.
Are you supecting damage to the valve body.? The spring (279-4804) and the poppet (095-6622) are listed separately in the Parts Manual
I am indeed. Not wanting to put a bad juju on the affair but if the spring IS from the load check valve, I wouldn't be surprised to see the poppet worn through its seat and floating about in the gallery underneath. It's all speculation though. Albeit informed speculation.
Gotcha. I had wondered what happened to the poppet to allow the spring to get through into the passage and jam the spool. My first thought was that the poppet may have broken up.