A friend of mine and I are at the point where we really need a compact excavator to create access trails on a very steep hillside. We have some budget but are most likely limited to used machines--though ultimately we'll have to pay what the right machine costs. I have some experience with tractors/skid steer but none with an excavator so I am hoping that the knowledgeable folks out there will share some info, thoughts, and experiences. Aside from being a quality machine the most important criteria would be ability to be repaired in the field. What I mean is the location we are working is way out an old logging road and the machine has to get in AND out under its own power. The closest spot a trailer could make it is about 1.5 miles away. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and have done a lot to my old 7.3 IDI Ford/Navistar so getting dirty and pulling things apart is no problem as long as computers are not running the show. Any and all tips/suggestions/etc. are appreciated.
How wide is the walkway going to be and what kind of material is on the hill (rock, gravel, loam, trees)?
That's the rub. If you want something that isn't computerized, the only choices will be very old. I'm off grid in the mountains too, so I can relate to the fear of repairing dead machinery in the most inaccessible locations. I think most service people are accustomed to those situations though. Just costs a little more time. When we build mountain roads around here, usually we use an excavator and a dozer, the latter keeping the road accessible to the fuel truck and timber harvest operations.
If you rent it’s up rental company to fix
Buy from a near by dealer, major brand, less than 500 hrs on the machine, properly serviced...and go to work with few concerns.
Hillside is deep in the Redwood forest. From some mild hand digging I have seen a fair amount of moist orange/yellow clay, some small sandstone, and forest duff/loose dirt. Width is dependent on how we route things and deal with the trees. In a perfect world we would end up with a comfortable quad/ATV trail. Some switchback may be necessary in places. Renting could be an option but it's difficult fo us to coordinate our schedules so we can make the most out of the rental time.
So are you about 60" wide for a 4 wheeler. Doesn't seem like the digging is overly difficult. A 40-45 sized machine, a quick coupler (thumb is always good of course) with a ditch bucket and digging bucket sounds like it would get it done. I think your a little overly concerned about the reliability of the computer machines (I am not even sure what that means). These excavators at least in my experience are very reliable regardless of the brand. I agree with finding a lower hour machine (under a 1000 hours) equipped the way you want it and chances are great you likely not have a problem.
Thanks for the replies. By 40-45 sized I assume that's 40-45 HP. Yeah the computer thing is just a personal preference and I know the systems can be very reliable. I've just known so many people who spent a lot of time chasing down odd electrical/sensor/computer issues.
I guess in part I'm wondering if there are any brands that stand out from the rest for good or bad reasons. Not trying to start a Ford vs. Chevy debate but just trying to narrow the field if possible.
By 40-45 size I was referencing weight, so an 8-9k ton machine. These machines don't have SCR since they are under 75 hp. Some may have a DOC but those are a nonissue. As far as OEMs to look at, from this aspect, buying used can always be a gamble, but all of the main manufactures build a quality unit. Sometimes things break, but in my view problems are pretty few and far between. When major problems do happen, your likely to have to pull it off the job anyway. Perhaps the best way to do it is to find a couple machines that your interested in and post the make and model on here and see what peoples experience is.
I've got 4 Takeuchi TB180FR and 1 TB53FR. Very little if any troubles that couldn't be fixed in situ, until well over 7k hours. Yes, I have some weird issues, but never needed dealer service involved. My Yanmar Vio80-1A and ViO55-6 have both been good to me, albeit they only have 1000k hrs on each. The TB180FR have 11k, 9k, 7k, and 6k hours on them. The TB53FR has over 9k hours. Number one downtime was fuel supply. My modifications are documented on here. I'd take a 3k hour Takeuchi out in the boonies any day of the week.
I run a Yanmar Vio35-3 8000 pound excavator that I purchased with 2800 hours. Currently has 3300 hours. No problems I couldn't deal with myself (failed hydraulic lines, electrical glitches) in 5 years ownership which is good as I am about 1000 miles from the nearest Yanmar dealer and 350 miles from any kind of heavy equipment mechanical support. The machine racks up a lot of miles tracking around the property which includes some pretty rocky 15% grades. Will likely be changing out the rubber tracks in the next year. Mini excavators are rated in metric tons. A 35 is 3.5 metric tonnes-+/- 3500 kg or 7700 pounds, a 45 is 4.5 tonnes 4500 kg 9900 pounds etc. A 25-45 size machine would likely do a good job building your trails if you don't have any big boulders or outcrops to deal with. A PAT blade would be a good option if you can find one in our price range.
Since cutbanks continually deteriorate, I would make the trail twice as wide as an ATV. Even then, you will have to clean it out with a small dozer after 10 years or so.
Sounds like a 3.5 - 5ton ish machine type gig. Nobody ever regretted going bigger. (in your kind of application) Lifting rocks/logs etc. I'm assuming will be part of the drill. I'd look either a non zero tail swing 3.5 ton machine like a takeuchi TB135 or a 5 ton machine like a JD 50C. (if you're looking to go older) That generation of machines has had no or very limited amount of computers. My small fleet of machines is 2010--2013 and zero regrets so far. They're reliable, easy on fuel, less gagets and still comfortable.
If it's only for trails and doesn't need to be much wider than 4', then just use a 3000-4000 lb 4' wide machine. The tracks narrow to 41" so you can even have your trail slip between two trees. You do want a big digging bucket, a wide clean out bucket and a thumb. Well maintained used is fine. Don't spend over $20,000. Buy a machine with up to 3500 hours, and in the years 2003 to pre-tier 4 and open canopy. Sell it for what you bought it for when done. A bigger machine is nice, but do you need 6' wide trails. That's a lot of extra dirt to move that may not be needed. I have three Takeuchi machines, and my smallest the TB016 works great for that type of work. The job is to move dirt from the high side to the low side, then blade forward. Go only as big as you want the trail wide. A big advantage of a bigger machine though, is it's easier to find a bigger selection of buckets to fit. I assume you're not building a 4wd road. If that's the case go to a 6-9 ton machine.