Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 305CR Excavator won’t start

Phil_C ยท 2020-04-13 05:49

Hello All I have a Cat 305CR excavator that was sitting for about a month between starts. When I tried to start it about a week ago the key would energize the system as normal but switching to start it would do nothing. Assuming the battery was flat I swapped it out for another with the same result. A few checks with a test light and I found that there is no power getting to the solenoid on the starter. Connecting the wire on the solenoid to the battery started the engine without problems. Not having time to continue investigating I putt the machine to work for a couple of hours. When I went to shut the engine off it would not shut down. I had to stall the engine to get it to stop. I tried disconnecting the wires to the stop solenoid but it had no effect. Could the two issues be related? Are there any low level switches or something that would disable the start? The hydraulic oil level is low but still above the empty mark. I could not find anything in the operation manual. Regards Phil

Replies1
  1. #1Vetech632020-04-13 07:08

    Your going to get asked for your machine serial number so you might as well post it. You need to check your fuse panel first and make sure all the fuses are good. I would also give the wiring that you can see a good look and make sure some critter hasnt been snacking on it.