Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 305E excavator thumb hyd line coupling won’t engage

Gumaer55 · 2025-07-13 13:28

It’s a flat faced quick disconnect to the thumb actuator hyd line. It looks like we released the pressure on the lines, the quick disconnect still will not engage. How can I ensure hydraulic pressure is relieved? I’m feeling kinds stupid being a retired aircraft mechanic with my two mid twenties sons can get this thing on. Any pointers?

Replies6
  1. #1Island_catguy2025-07-13 15:22

    Key on, engine off and actuate the circuit a few times and it should relive the pressure and slip right on.

  2. #2Island_catguy2025-07-13 15:29

    You can always crack the line as well. In a perfect world, it slips right in with a little force and a rag or gloves. It looks like there is still pressure on the line.

  3. #3Island_catguy2025-07-13 15:31

    You can crack it here after you relive the pressure with key on engine off

  4. #4Gumaer552025-07-13 19:46
  5. #5CM19952025-07-13 20:17

    Yep. This will make it a whole lot easier. If you are running a hydro attachment be sure and do this process before unhooking it in order to relieve pressure in the attachment.

  6. #6HarleyHappy2025-07-14 07:59

    I always keeps a couple of wrenches and just break them open at the coupler until a bit of hydraulic fluid comes out. My backhoe, I have Aggie couplers because i find them easier to just push the center pin on the machine to bleed a little bit.