Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 305e2 Swing Gear Problem

cbart · 2019-12-06 20:24

i'm new to the site and this is my first post. i recently purchased a used 2016 305e2 with about 1400 hours. This is my first experience with owning Cat equipment and over all I'm impressed with most aspects. However, I've noticed that while rotating the cab, the excavator will get hung up around 12:00 to 1:00 and and depending on where you stop, just passed 12:00 there is excessive slop as if a tooth is missing. Is there a way of inspecting the swing gear & bearing without removing the cab? Can it be viewed through the panels in the cab floor or from the underside? Is this an unusual problem given the low hours? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Chris

Replies9
  1. #1John C.2019-12-06 20:57

    Cat had problems with the inside bolts for the slewing bearing in that time frame on some models of machines. The heads were breaking off and allowing the house to pitch up and down as the implements were used. You can check that by stretching the stick all the way out and pushing the bucket into the ground slightly while watching the house as it relates to the tracks. You will be able to feel it bump and notice the house move when the tracks don't. Once the slack it out there will be that bump and the track frames will pick up as you push down with the boom.

  2. #2Canadian_digger2019-12-07 07:55

    Is this issue also a problem on the 308E2? I was looking at one at RB yesterday and the amount of play in the swing bearing area was unreal. Cab would rock and role while operating it. Had 5000hrs.

  3. #3DEMLONE702019-12-07 08:48

    Serial number ?

  4. #4cbart2019-12-07 11:16

    John C thanks for the reply and information. I will check the machine on Monday and report back what I find. DEMLONE70 thanks for reminding me to post the serial number. It is H5M01827.

  5. #5John C.2019-12-07 11:44

    The 308 models is where it showed up first. Since I saw it on those machines several times, I warn everyone about it being a possibility on other models as well.

  6. #6DEMLONE702019-12-07 11:51

    They have both

  7. #7cbart2019-12-16 16:22

    John C. I was able to test for play in the excavator as you recommended. There is almost no up and down movement in the house when extending and pushing down. The play is mainly when rotating the house and stopping at 12 or 1 o'clock.

  8. #8Nige2019-12-16 17:31

    You might find the attached document somewhat relevant.

  9. #9John C.2019-12-17 00:31

    What you are describing then is back lash between the pinion gear and the ring gear?